Crockpot Honey Pork and Apples
Easy Crockpot Meatloaf2

Stockpiling 101 – Brands & Product Size

Stockpiling 101 - Brands & Product Size

In order to do really well at stockpiling you will need to purchase the brand that is on sale that matches with your coupons. This means that you may need to “try” new brands in order to get in on the good deals. We always tell our hubbies that if a product is FREE or near free we have nothing to lose.

Stockpiling 101 – Brands & Product Size:

We had always been very brand loyal so this was a new way of shopping for us. One example is that I had always purchased cascade dishwasher detergent. When I started stockpiling I kept hearing from my friend Paul about cheap or free electrosol dishwasher detergent. I decided I had nothing to lose and gave it a try. I could either spend $3.89 on Cascade minus a $.25 coupon or I could spend .50 cents after coupon on electrosol…in the end I like electrosol just as well and I am saving at least $3.00 a package.

Another example was Skippy Peanut Butter. We made the switch from Jif (which rarely goes on sale and never goes FREE) to Skippy which I was able to purchase for FREE! In the end we like Skippy Natural better than Jif so it was a great decision for us to try brands that we normally would not. I suggest giving all brands a chance especially if they are FREE or close to it!

A big mistake that we used to make as a shopper was buying the biggest product size available. We always compared the price per unit.  The reason this is a mistake is that while a product size may be less expensive per unit, the smaller item may be FREE or near free after your coupon.

When stockpiling you will want to purchase products in the smallest size that your coupon allows.  If a coupon doesn’t have a “size limit” then you can use it for “travel size” or “smallest size available” and get that product for free with possible overage.  This is a new way of shopping for most people.  As a result with this change we have been using FREE travel size Tide for months matched with the $1/ any size coupon available.

Comments

1. Pam Gow says

I have always gone for the biggest size. Thanks for helping me see the light!!! I have also been pretty loyal to certain brands but I am willing to try!

2. Pat Saltzgaber says

couponing has encouraged me not to be brand loyal and to by the smallest size that the coupon will allow. love your web site!

3. jequetta woody says

I have always been a gain person, but for free I would love to try out tide. I would like some information on getting coupons that i need in bulk please???

4. Donna says

I stock up if the item us free or $1 or less regardless of brand!!! It’s so nice not having to buy toiletry items because I need themniw, I only buy when there’s a good deal because of my stockpile!!

5. Amy T. says

I’m glad to get all of your helpful hints, especially the tips on purchasing Tide. Love all the information you share to help us save money! I appreciate all of your hard work to keep us informed! Thanks!!!

6. christy yang says

love the single load tides. My daughter can now do her own laundry without using too much detergent this was a great way to teach her

7. Lisha Driver says

I read the article and learned that buying the smallest sizes are often the better deal. Thanks for the lesson! I really appreciate it. Now, if I can just get those coupons… :-)

8. says

We were always brand specific with everything we ever bought. Now we use anything that’s cheap or free and honestly we have found other brands we like better!

9. Tami Wyant says

I debate whether to do trial sizes with overage vs. getting another size all the time when it’s something I use a lot of, like laundry oap.

10. Christina says

I always struggle with which size to buy. Buy the trial for free and run out before a new coupon comes out or use it on a larger size and come oop? Decisions, decisions!

11. Christine says

There comes a point where those little trial sizes become annoying. I’m happy with near-free but more normal sizes.

12. Mal says

Thanks for the tip on getting the overage on the Tide $2 coupon. NEVER would have thought of it. You all are awesome!! thanks again

13. Sarah says

Thanks for all the info. You all are saving me so much money and with 4 girls aged four and under I need all the tips I can get! Thanks!

14. angelica turner says

Love this post. it really helped me out alot since i am new to the coupon world. this coupon would really help my start my stock pile~~

15. says

I love when I am able to use a coupon on a travel size and get it for free. A lot of times I have make care packages for soldiers or even tornado victims in my area during storm season.

16. Heather Pfingsten says

I love this article… it is so important for couponers. I have walked out of the grocery store a number of times saving a large amount of money BUT… my brag fest came when I went to Walmart and they paid me $20 to walk out the door with items that I will use on a daily basis because of couponing and purchasing trial size items.

At this point I only have ONE brand loyalty… I won’t name… but I am still using coupons to purchase it. Everything else is fair game in my world.

Couponing has not only saved us money… it has introduced our family to new things that we otherwise would not have tried :)