It is very important to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. It is something that I personally feel very strongly about and that I teach my son. It is easy to do and though in some areas you have to actually “pay” to recycle (or at least for the service to pick up your recycling) we save far more than what we spend by doing so. Not only that but we are helping save mother earth.
It is easy to set up a recycling center for your home. Here are a few simple tips.
1. Create a bin for plastics. Most recycling centers accept #1 and #2. You can check the bottom of containers to see if they are numbered #1 or #2 and if so these items can be placed into the bin. You should remove any lids and rinse the container to avoid attracting pests. Also check with your recycling center to see if lids can be accepted or if they require any additional sorting or crushing of bottles.
2. Create a bin for cardboard. Using a box cutter or scissors cut it down to flatten.
3. Create a bin for glass. Glass can be recycled regardless of its color. You should rinse them before placing in the bin and check to see if you have to remove labels.
4. Create a bin for tin/aluminum. Rinse tin cans and place the lid in the bottom of the can for safety issues. You may want to recycle your aluminum for cash. If so keep those separate. Remove your tabs as they can be donated to the Ronald McDonald House.
5. Create a bin for clothing. This box may be something you can donate to charity or recycled into another project. We use old t-shirts for rags and cleaning cloths.
You may want to read Keeping Mother Earth Happy as a follow up to this post.