Red Velvet Cake is our family favorite! My Mother-in-Law created this recipe years ago and she is known for it at every holiday celebration. We always “request” it for Christmas and Valentine’s Day. This recipe is not made with a traditional creme cheese frosting because she doesn’t like cream cheese so she came up with her own glaze that makes this cake so moist and delicious! It is actually best several days after it is made to really absorb the glaze.
I love a homemade whipped cream cheese frosting – this recipe is great!
Red Velvet Cake
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 TBSP cocoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 TBSP Red Food Color
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup flour
- Cream shortening and sugar. Add beaten eggs, sift dry ingredients, except soda.
- Add alternately with the buttermilk. Beat well, add vanilla, red food coloring. Add soda, dissolved in vinegar (very important).
- Beat again.
- Pour into a 9x13 greased and floured pan and bake at 350 degree oven for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Cook over low heat or in a double boiler until thick.
- milk, flour and a dash salt
- Cream together sugar and shortening or butter
- The frosting will be thin like a glaze. Pour on the cooled cake and let sit.
- Add the cooked mixture and cream together. Add 1/2 tsp. vanilla and spread over cake. It is best eaten on the 2nd or 3rd day.
This is an original recipe created by my Mother-in-Law, Brenda Hice. It should not be printed or used without written permission. It is a family favorite for Christmas and Valentines Day.
Be sure to check out these Valentine’s Day posts: