What an amazing bread! Perfect for any meal. I always make this on St. Patrick’s Day to celebrate the Irish with our dinner. Be sure to “PIN” this great recipe so you will have it when you are ready to make it. Please follow us on Pinterest and enjoy hundreds of recipes, crafts, party planning ideas, gardening, DIY and more.
- 3-1/4 cups flour
- ⅓ cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold butter
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup currants or raisins
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, ⅓ cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk and currants; mix just until moistened.
- PLACE dough on floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Shape into round loaf, 2-1/2 inches thick.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Cut deep ½-inch “X” in top of dough.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp. sugar.
- BAKE 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Cut into 16 wedges to serve.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy: