Walmart’s New Coupon Policy

Walmart has updated their Walmart coupon policy!  There are lots of GREAT changes!  Be sure to print it out and carry it with you.  As it takes time for the cashiers to get regulated to the changes we always recommend carrying the policy with you in your binder when available.  The highlights are they now accept CATALINAS and they now give OVERAGE (also in the form of cashback)!  These are my two favorite parts :-)  Please due note that the policy also states they no longer except Internet Printable coupons that would make a product FREE.   Be sure to read it thoroughly and let us know if we can answer any questions.

Walmart accepts the following types of coupons (see guidelines below):

• Manufacturers’ coupons
  • Print-at-home internet coupons
    • Must be legible, have “Manufacturer Coupon” printed on them, have a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date, and have a scannable bar code.
  • Competitors’ coupons that feature a specific item for a specified price
    • for example, $2.99
  • Soft drink container caps
  • Checkout coupons
    • (also called “Catalinas”) that are printed at our competitors’ registers, have “Manufacturer Coupon” with specific requirements printed on them, a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date, and a scannable bar code.

Walmart does not accept the following coupons:

• Print-at-home Internet coupons that require no purchase
  • Competitors’ coupons for dollars/cents or percentage off, buy one get one free, and double- or triple-value coupons

The following are guidelines and limitations:

• Only one coupon per item is permitted.
  • Coupons must have an expiration date and be redeemed prior to expiration.
  • Coupons may exceed the price of the item. Change may be given or applied toward the cost of the basket purchase.
  • Walmart only accepts coupons for merchandise that we sell.
  • Coupons must be presented at the time of purchase.
  • We accept the following with Customer Service Supervisor/Management approval:
    • 40 or more coupons
    • Any coupon over $20
    • $50 or more in coupons in one transaction

Comments

1. Cara Schneider says:

Does this mean they DO NOT accept a coupon for a FREE item??
    (ie) the recent coffee-mate coupon)

I know mine HAS accepted them in the past, so is this NEW>>

Thanks

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

Yes, this is also a big change. They no longer accept coupons that make an item free.

• Sandra U. says:

It says no “print at home internet coupons that require no purchase” so I am wondering if they will accept coupons for free items as long as they are mailed coupons and not printed at home.

2. Jane Haines says:

Question does this,”The following are guidelines and limitations:* Only one coupon per item is permitted,”mean only one coupon total per item or only one store and one manufacture coupon per item? Thanks

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

I coupon per item. So no stacking.

• No stacking, only refers to having more than one coupon for the one item not for the quantities of the same items correct? I purchase several of the same items having a coupon for each of the items but was only able to by in quantities of one using the one coupon but having to cash out for the same items and my coupons refused. It didn’t make any sense. I ended up only with one of every item because I refused to pay regular price.

3. Cara Schneider says:

This is just sad, only because some items, the ONLY place I can find them IS WALMART :(

Thanks for the info!

4. I’m a little confused on the use of “free” coupons. If you have a manufacturers coupon (from an insert), that is BOGO, will they not accept that? Or, like the current Old Spice coupon, buy a deodorant get a BW free?

5. It seems contradictory. If they will give back overage or apply it to another item, then the coupon made the item free. If an item was on sale for .75 and you had a coupon for $1 off it makes it free and there is overage. They will accept this? But if it’s BOGO or the coupon is a fully made by the manufacturer FREE ITEM coupon they won’t accept it? Not smart.

6. Jana Sabo says:

This is confusing because the notes state you cannot use a coupon if it make the item free but their policy states “Coupons may exceed the price of the item. Change may be given or applied toward the cost of the basket purchase.” How would that apply if you can’t use a coupon to make it free or more than free.

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

After reading the policy they are really only referring to IP’s that for a FREE product. So for example a coupon that reads “FREE” Sobe Water

7. THERESA E says:

I AM CONFUSED. WILL THEY EXCEPT A B1G1 FREE INTERNET COUPON?

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

I think they will accept a BOGO, I really think it is just to protect themselves for fraudulent coupons that is just for a completely free product. So this would be IP’s that are for a FREE item.

8. THERESA E says:

WHAT IF IT IS A MANUFACTURER COUPON FOR A FREE PRODUCT LIKE COUNTRY BOB’S? I GOT IT IN THE MAIL.

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

I am “hoping” that is ok. The policy just reads Internet Printables so I think we are ok.

9. THERESA E says:

THANKS MELISSA

10. vodreaux says:

Here is a suggestion for everyone:

Since Walmart has updated the coupon policy, I encourage everyone to Email, Fax and even call Walmart CEO on complimenting the change on policy. Also, please share your horrible experience with Michael Duke. Ask him for his advice on making your future shopping experience smooth as possible avoiding past experience of you and others. Lastly, share this thread, other thread and blogs.

CEO of Walmart
    michael.duke@wal-mart.com
    479-273-4229

Corporate contact info:
    702 Southwest 8th Street
    Bentonville, AR 72716
    United States – Map
    +1-479-2734000 (Phone)
    +1-479-2734053 (Fax)

11. So can i use this… I have a $3 off coupon for Gain fabric softner . will they except it at walmart??????

12. I drive to a store an hour away to keep from having to go to Wal-Mart! I HATE that store with a passion!

13. vodreaux says:

Jennifer, call customer service and CEO above.

Tell CEO your story about you driving further to experience more friendly Walmart experience. Also, ask for someone serious in helping you.

14. I tried to use a manufac coupon that stated “product available at dollar general” and the cashier refused to accept it. I went to the customer service desk and they also refused to accept it. In general, walmart stores here in Dallas make it very difficult to customers to use coupons. I hate shopping at walmart!!!

15. Have you used any B1G1 coupons with the new policy?

“If coupon value exceeds the price of the item, the excess may be given to the customer as cash or applied toward the basket purchase.”

So if you have a B1G1 that values up to $5.99 does that mean the cashier would input $5.99 since it states it’s the value of the coupon and not the value of the item? I’m just curious if anyone has had any success. Thanks!

16. I’m really confused about the whole competitors coupon thing —- if I have a Target coupon for $3.50 off of diapers AND wipes would that be one that is vaild, or one that isn’t?

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

Walmart is only taking competitor coupons not store coupons. So a coupon that says “store coupon” like from Target or CVS will not be accepted. Hope that helps!

17. I just read the policy on the webiste and it says they take bogo for a specified price. It says the only bogo they don’t take is a competitor’s bogo WITHOUT specified price. (this includes printables)

I think confusion comes in with the competitors bogo.

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

I agree. They will take a BOGO but not a competitor BOGO without a specified price.

They also won’t take a $ off Catalina.

18. I was really looking forward to shopping with coupons at Walmart. The new coupon policy is great! Unfortunately, the stores in my area have not been trained or informed of the changes. Had a horrible experience there this week. Would not accept coupons with overages without a huge fuss…3 clerks and a manager had to “discuss” it first. Then the clerk scrutinized every item I had. I am an honest person and do not need the trouble so…I’ll stick with Target and the pharmacies for now.

19. Donna Sindle says:

Re: Walmart accepting competitor’s coupons
    A competitor coupon and store coupon is the same thing, isn’t it? I had a Walgreens coupon from their sale paper last week that said PUREX $1.99 and was able to use it at my Walmart. I was told they will not accept a coupon from Target, Dollar General, etc. UNLESS it named the item + stated the selling price. If the Walgreens coupon had said PUREX $1 off or save 25% off PUREX, it would not have ben accepted.

20. I just shopped at Walmart using Comp coupon from Safeway. Their new policy is awesome. I bought Freschetta Natural Rising pizza for $1.26 each! Sale price at Walmart is $5.25.
    Thank you for this blog. It really helped.

21. I am the same Deb from April 12th. Ok, with my scenerio it worked. I used a Safeway coupon for Freschetta pizza for $3.99. Walmart had it on sale for $5.25. The cashier deducted the $3.99 price, which came out to $1.26, which was an awesome deal.
    So, I thought I knew how the coupon worked.
    Can someone please explain to me competitor coupon policy?
    My sister in law went to Walmart and they said they will only price match to competitors specific item and price. She had her $1.99 Safeway Dawn dish soap, they said they would only price match it to that price.

How does the competitors coupon come in place?

22. I am confused, but when watching “Extreme Couponing” on television, it seems they all have a store rewards card, along with their coupons, which takes a big % off their bill.
    Why doesn’t Wal-Mart offer such a card? We spend hundreds there each week on groceries, they need to offer a “store loyalty card”

23. Also, I just had the thought that I wish we could print out an aisle by aisle chart to be able to plan our lists better and organize them better…It would sure help…Especially if you need to send the husband!!!!

24. can you buy multiples of the same item and use the same coupon printed multiple times for each item in one transaction? (ex: buying 5 packages of oreos and using the 5 of the same coupons)

25. Melissa, I went to walmart the other day and used b1g1 q’s.
    The coupon had up to $5.99. The cashier typed it in as $5.99 coupon. This was the first time they have ever given me the full value of the q. I’m really confused because the next time I went to walmart a different cashier said no it was not the policy to do it that way. Can you clarify this part of walmarts policy? Thanks.

• Were only allowed to put what the value of that product was, not an up to amount. Now if the product exceeded the 5.99 then they would have to put that amount on there.

26. At our wal-mart it depends on what cashier you have, it’s basically luck of the draw! The last time I went, I comped all my prices plus used any and all coupons and the cashier did not even check them. The time before that….differrent story. They also will not let us use more than one coupon per item per purchase.. ie…. wisk detergent, I bought 4 of them, and I had to check out 4 times, same with the bic pens. But all in all it depends on who our cashier is here.

27. hey okay so my mom wants to figure out how to do this and so ive been researching it while shes at work . and ive been watching the show extreme couponers or whatever its called and how exactly do i do that?? it seems realy difficult. can i use two coupons on one item like if te coupon is 50 cents off can i use another one to make it 1.00 off???? IM CONFUSED please help! ;)

28. Bella, it’s about IMPOSSIBLE to do EXTREME COUPONING. Basically, you can only use ONE coupon for each item purchased. The only exceptions are if you use a STORE COUPON with a MANUFACTURER’S COUPON. A lot of stores will double the value of a coupon up to 50 cents (making the item $1 off) and triple the value of coupons up to 39 cents (making the item up to $1.17 off). You need to use your coupon when the item is on sale at it’s lowest price. Stores usually cycle the prices over a 3 month period and will go from inexpensive to ridiculously high. You need to learn these cycles and then buy, with a coupon, when it is inexpensive. That is also when you buy more than one item. Start slow. You’ll catch on. Numerous websites that will help you. Also see if someone locally teaches a class.

29. Hoping someone sees this and can answer this question. Can you price match at WM and still use a coupon? I price matched for the first time today and was surprised at how easy it was, but I wasn’t sure about using a coupon on top of it.

30. Serene Love says:

It might depend on your Walmart. I have use price match and coupon together. Others has hit brick wall.

31. Gena Thomas says:

Thanks for all the fabulous info you always have. So very helpful.
    I had someone ask where this info came from since it’s not on the corporate site of coupon policy.
    Can you help me verify this for others please.

Thanks so much