The weather is finally starting to cool down and nothing is nicer than sleeping under the stars on a cool Indian Summer night. If you are planning on packing up your family for a camping trip there are ways to make the trip frugal family fun. Camping is a great way to save money and can become a fun staycation!
Frugal Camping Tips:
Bargain Beginnings – Buy equipment such as tents, camping stoves or chairs at the end of the season, (hey that’s now) to get them at a clearance or discounted price. Also be sure to buy anything that you will need like buns, ketchup, and marshmallows before you leave for the trip or better yet pull it from your stockpile. Your campground will likely have an “outpost” store but the prices will be much more expensive. Also consider buying small items like bug boxes, glow sticks or magnifying glasses from the dollar store to give to your children to explore the campgrounds and woods. These also act as small souvenirs for a lot less cost.
Outstanding Outings – During your trip plan outside activities at the campsite like flag light tag, running races or catching lightning bugs. When planning outings, visit the local attractions, often for a discounted rate if you buy day passes or packages. You can also plan to camp at a campground that has scheduled activities for children and families. These activities are sometimes organized rec sports or arts and crafts, or even bands.
Frugal Camping Tips
- See if an Entertainment Book for the area you are going to is available.
- Try fishing with your family if your campground has a lake or river. Often you can rent basic fishing gear.
- Take advantage of swimming area, hiking trails and bike paths at your campground
- Traveling to a state or national park, see if you receive a discount based on your employer.
- As other campers leave, gather firewood that they have left behind, but never transport firewood from home to your destination.
- Get outside and have family time around the campfire and enjoys your s’mores.
Camping Posts You May Enjoy: