We love these Elf Cookies! They are the perfect way to kick of the Elf on the Shelf Return! They are easy to make too with refrigerated cookie dough! No one will ever know they aren’t from scratch. Best of all they use a diamond cookie cutter which you can re-use for other ideas like if you are hosting a card game party or as a kite cookie, really the ideas are limitless. We hope your kids love these cookies as much as ours did!
- ½ tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons milk, divided
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract, divided
- 6 drops red food coloring, divided
- 140 milk chocolate M&M's (about ⅔ cup)
- 56 almond slices (about 4 teaspoons)
- 56 brown M&M's miniature baking bits (about 1 tablespoon)
- 28 red M&M's miniature baking bits (about 1-1/2 teaspoons)
- In a small bowl, beat cookie dough and flour until combined.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to ⅛-in. thickness.
- Cut with a floured 1-3/4-in. x 3-1/4-in. diamond cookie cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For one batch of glaze, in a small bowl, combine ¾ cup confectioners' sugar, 4-1/2 teaspoons milk and ¼ teaspoon extract.
- Remove 1 tablespoon glaze to another bowl.
- Tint remaining glaze with 3 drops food coloring.
- Working with one cookie at a time, spread red glaze over top half of cookie.
- Place one M&M at top for tassel and four M&M's across edge of glaze for hat brim.
- For ears, place two almonds above M&M's on each end.
- Dip baking bits in plain glaze; place brown bits on cookie for eyes and a red bit for nose. Repeat with 13 more cookies.
- Make second batch of glaze with remaining confectioners' sugar, milk, extract and food coloring.
- Decorate remaining cookies as above.
I have many friends that are still looking for a home. If you are interested in some trouble around your house overnight and a way to make your kids be good for you all day, you need an elf!
You can pick up one of my friends on Amazon! They have fast shipping and your Elf can ride in before you know it!
Check out our Free Elf Printable Tags – perfect for gifts or cupcakes!
Follow Stockpiling Moms’s board Elf on the Shelf® Ideas on Pinterest.