Elf Cookies Recipe
Source: Originally published as Elf Cookies in Quick Cooking November/December 2005, p20
Recipe type: Seasonal
- ½ tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons milk, divided
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract, divided
- 6 drops red food coloring, divided
- 140 milk chocolate M&M’s (about ⅔ cup)
- 56 almond slices (about 4 teaspoons)
- 56 brown M&M’s miniature baking bits (about 1 tablespoon)
- 28 red M&M’s miniature baking bits (about 1-1/2 teaspoons)
- In a small bowl, beat cookie dough and flour until combined.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to ⅛-in. thickness.
- Cut with a floured 1-3/4-in. x 3-1/4-in. diamond cookie cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For one batch of glaze, in a small bowl, combine ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar, 4-1/2 teaspoons milk and ¼ teaspoon extract.
- Remove 1 tablespoon glaze to another bowl.
- Tint remaining glaze with 3 drops food coloring.
- Working with one cookie at a time, spread red glaze over top half of cookie.
- Place one M&M at top for tassel and four M&M’s across edge of glaze for hat brim.
- For ears, place two almonds above M&M’s on each end.
- Dip baking bits in plain glaze; place brown bits on cookie for eyes and a red bit for nose. Repeat with 13 more cookies.
- Make second batch of glaze with remaining confectioners’ sugar, milk, extract and food coloring.
- Decorate remaining cookies as above.
Thank You Taste Of Home for the picture and recipe!