Tortellini Bean Soup Mix Recipe
Source: Originally published as Tortellini Bean Soup Mix in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p86
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 cup dried great northern beans
- ¼ cup dried lentils
- ¼ cup dried green split peas
- ¾ cup uncooked dried tricolor tortellini
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 8 cups water
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a 3-cup jar or container with a tight-fitting lid, layer the beans, lentils and peas. In a small resealable plastic bag, combine the tortellini, parsley, bouillon, garlic, thyme and salt. Place bag in jar. Replace lid and store in a cool dry place. Yield: 1 batch (about 2-1/4 cups).
- To prepare soup: Remove bag of tortellini and seasonings; set aside. Rinse the beans, lentils and peas; drain. Place in a Dutch oven. Add 8 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Stir in the tortellini and seasonings, broth, tomatoes, carrots and celery. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 15 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Thank You Taste Of Home for the picture and recipe!