Today for Stockpiling Saturday I want to discuss Shopping Safely. Not too long ago a friend of a friend was approached in a grocery store parking lot. They stole her car and purse but she was left unharmed. I thought of the safety issues associated with shopping. The reason shoppers are often victims is because they have money, credit cards, children, and often are preoccupied with their purchases and getting everything in the car. I know as a Stockpiler I am often really excited about my purchases and how much I DID NOT spend! As I think more about my exit from the store I am probably not as aware as I should be. I am so excited about what I just accomplished. So here are some ideas for safe shopping.
- Shop with an adult family member or friend.
- Carry a very small amount of cash or just the credit card you are using for that particular shopping trip. I often put my credit card, id, and cash in my coupon binder so I do not have to keep up with everything.
- If possible leave small children at home. I know some people do not have this option. If you don’t always keep them close by! Something that I always do with the kids is put them in first and then the groceries. At night I often get in the car, lock the doors, and then turn to buckle the kids in.
- Do Not leave your purse unattended in the cart. I see this all the time while I am in the store. It only takes a second to steal your purse.
- Always put your credit card or cash away before walking out of the store.
- Always park in a very visible and well lit part of the parking lot.
- How many times do you forget where you parked. I always park as close to the lamp post as possible or a cart corral.
- Don’t forget you have a horn in your car! If someone approaches you while you are in your car BLOW IT!!
Stockpiling 101 Series:Yum