Favorite Italian Beef Sandwiches Recipe
Source: Originally published as Italian Beef Sandwiches in Country Woman November/December 2001, p31
Recipe type: Crockpot
- 1 jar (11-1/2 ounces) pepperoncini
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- ¼ cup water
- 1-3/4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced and quartered
- 10 to 12 hard rolls, split
- Drain, reserving liquid. Remove and discard stems of peppers; set peppers aside.
- Cut roast into large chunks; place a third of the meat in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water.
- In a small bowl, combine the seasonings; sprinkle half over beef.
- Layer with half of the remaining meat, then onion, reserved peppers and liquid.
- Top with remaining meat and herb mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Shred beef with two forks.
- Using a slotted spoon, serve beef and peppers on rolls.
Thank You Taste Of Home for the picture and recipe!