Bean and Pasta Soup Recipe
Source: Originally published as Bean and Pasta Soup in Light & Tasty February/March 2006, p61
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded fresh spinach
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick saucepan, saute the celery, carrots, onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the water, tomatoes, broth, basil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Drain pasta; stir into vegetable mixture.
- Add the beans; heat through.
- Stir in spinach; cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Thank You Taste Of Home for the picture and recipe!