Corned Beef and Cabbage is one of my favorite dishes for St. Patrick’s Day! I love that it can be made naturally Gluten Free too! It is a recipe my family loves too! Remember if you like this recipe then “Pin It” – it is a great way to bookmark recipes that you want to make later!
- 1 (3-pound) corned beef brisket
- 3 (11-12 ounce) bottles gluten-free beer
- 10-12 cups cold water, to cover
- 1 onion, quartered
- 8 carrots, cut in quarters
- 4 stalks celery, cut in quarters
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 large head green cabbage (about 2 pounds), cut into 8 thick wedges
- 6 small new potatoes (about 2 pounds), skin left on, halved
- Fresh horseradish, optional
- Place corned beef in a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid. Add gluten-free beer, water, onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves, peppercorns, allspice and cloves. Bring to a boil, uncovered, and skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Reduce heat to barely a simmer and cook until tender, about 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove corned beef from liquid and cover with parchment or foil to keep moist and warm.
- Add cabbage and potatoes to the cooking liquid and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cabbage and potatoes to a large platter. Slice the corned beef across the grain of the meat into thin slices. Ladle some of the hot cooking liquid over the corned beef. Serve immediately with fresh horseradish, if desired.
Check out this other St. Patrick’s Day posts: