Crispy Fried Chicken Recipe
Source: Originally published as Crispy Fried Chicken in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p31
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup water
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, paprika, oregano, sage and pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and water.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture; place in the bag, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°.
- Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, for 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy.
- Place in two ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear
Thank You Taste Of Home for the picture and recipe!