I am so excited for this Gluten Free Tortilla Soup! I have not had tortilla soup since I became Gluten Free and it is one of my favorites. A tasty, spicy soup that’s perfect for cool Spring evenings. This looks so yummy!
I like to serve it with Homemade Guacamole.
Be sure to “PIN” this great recipe so you will have it when you are ready to make it. Please follow us on Pinterest and enjoy hundreds of recipes, crafts, party planning ideas, gardening, DIY and more.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- (1) 15 oz. can Organic Tomato Sauce
- (1) 6 oz. can Organic Tomato Paste
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- (2) 14.5 oz cans of low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 sm jalapeno pepper with seeds, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 whole Hass avocado, mashed
- Juice from ½ of a lime
- (6) white corn tortillas
- canola cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine cumin and cayenne pepper and rub on chicken breasts.
- Bake chicken breasts in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Mash avocado in bowl and squeeze in juice from ½ of lime; stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cut tortillas into strips. Lay them out on a cookie sheet and spray liberally with canola spray. Put in 400 degree oven for about 5-7 minutes; until crisp and golden brown. Set aside.
- Cut up cooked chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Bring broth, tomato sauce and paste, with the jalapeno to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Stir to be sure tomato paste gets blended in properly. Reduce heat to medium and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and the green onions; simmer 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add cilantro and the 2 Tbsp of lime juice.
- Top soup with tortilla strips and mashed avocado and serve.