Old-Fashioned Strawberry Pie Recipe
Source: Originally published as Old-Fashioned Strawberry Pie in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p41
Recipe type: dessert
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- ½ cup boiling water
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 fresh strawberries
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry.
- Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate.
- Trim pastry to ½ in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 450° for 8 minutes.
- Remove foil; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine pudding mix, water and lemon juice.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water.
- Gradually stir in pudding.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Fold in sliced strawberries. Transfer to crust.
- For topping, in another bowl, beat the cream cheese, ½ cup whipped topping and vanilla until smooth.
- Fold in remaining whipped topping.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a medium star tip.
- Fill with topping.
- Pipe topping around edges of pie; garnish with whole strawberries. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Thank You Taste Of Home for the picture and recipe!