Back To School Success – Tips for Transitioning from Summer to School

Back To School Success  Transitioning from Summer to School

Back To School Success – Tips for Transitioning from Summer to School

As summer comes to an end it is time to get back into the school routine. My son thrives when it comes to routine. By creating a homework station we overcome the dreaded homework routine. It makes homework time easier for us.

It is important to transition from Summer to your school routine. Start easing back into your school routine 3 weeks before the big day. I suggest that you start getting back into an earlier sleeping schedule by pushing back bedtime 10 minutes each night.  It will help “ease” you kids into a school routine.  It also helps to not allow your kids to sleep in starting two weeks before school too so they are on a more “normal” schedule.

We personally follow a schedule in the summer too but we are a little more lax.  We let our son stay up a little bit later and sleep in so easing back into it helps us!

Check out some of these ideas!

How to make a School Bus Cake

How to create a homework station

Tips for homework success

After school snack ideas

Tips for packing hot lunches (heating a thermos video)

Breakfast Ideas on the Go

5 Tips for Back To School Success

Comments

1. Maralea says:

It is hard to get back into a routine after summer break! We always started a few weeks before school started to get back in the groove of things!

2. debbie jackson says:

It is really hard to get to get back in school mode and into a regular school routine. Thanks for transitioning sucess

3. Mami2jcn says:

I dread going back to the homework routine. I think starting a routine a couple of weeks before is a great idea.

4. Amanda Sakovitz says:

going back to school after the summer was always really hard for me. I think these tips would have definitely helped me out.

5. Michelle H. says:

We always try to get back into the early bedtime routine a few weeks before school starts so getting up for both of us is a whole lot less painful.

6. Easing back into a bedtime routine isn’t so tough if you keep the summer bedtimes within an hour or so of the school bedtimes. We always stay within that hour and when schooltime rolls back around everyone wakes up at their normal time.

7. Jessie C. says:

Great ideas to help. We usually start school routine at least two weeks earlier.

8. it is hard to believe that summer is almost over. thanks for this great post

9. Margaret Smith says:

Love the School bus cake. I’ve made a cake for the first day of schoool for years now. Usually school themed, but never knew how to make a bus. Great tip. Thanks.

10. Margaret Smith says:
  11. Creating a homework station is a great idea. Kids need a go-to place to get things done for school.

12. Great ideas! Fortunately, I’m past all of this with my kids … but now it’s the grandkids time! :)

13. Michelle says:

The after school snacks are great ideas. I travel 10 miles one way across back roads to get to my kids’ school and they think they will starve before we get home. Leaving a comment for the Kleenex Sneeze. Shield. Swish $100 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway

14. In 5 tips for back to school succes, I like the idea of having the kids go to bed 10 minutes early each night until we have them eased back into their regular bedtime. :-) Thanks!

15. thanks for the tips – maybe i can use these for my stepson

16. Andrea C. says:

I set a schedule at home so the kids are used to following a schedule still and into the new school year. Also summer school has been so fun for my almost 1st grader. It keeps him in a school frame of mind and gives me a break from my scheduled activities.

17. Angela P says:

We always start getting up at our school morning time two weeks before school starts. We practice getting ready exactly as if it was school time. This helps our routine get back into the swing of things. We also start reviewing basic skills from the previous year so we are ready for that first month of school!

18. Michelle Dunlap says:

To Go cereal is genious.

19. I really like the homework station idea as well as TV/snack time before starting school work

20. Jenn Mixon-Eick says:

I love the homework station! We were able to get an old school desk from our church (they used to have a school) and that is what we have set up for our homework station. It’s perfect because all of her supplies fit inside the desk and it’s a perfect fit for her. I can’t believe school starts in less than 4 weeks for us!!!!

21. Tara Liebing says:

That is a great idea to make a special desk or area just for homework I think I will try something like that this school year and have my son help make it so he will get excited about it

22. Your tips for homework success is bookmarked for my computer! My kids are starting to get much more homework and I want to be sure that they start school on the right foot!

23. Nicki Capaldo says:

I LOVED ALL THE SNACK TIPS! THE NILLA WAFERS WITH NUTELLA SOUND AMAZING!

24. Terri P. says:

My younger sister never got her two kids into a routine as they got to be school-age and it really shows. I firmly believe they would do a lot better if they had one. I’m going to talk to her about it this week.

25. Charlene S says:

I like the homework station idea.

26. Don’t forget the bedtime routine. That is always an issue, we stay up later and get up later…I know it is so sad to see summer coming to an end. Thanks for the snack ideas!

27. Maggie Wong says:

Thanks for the tips for packing lunches

28. jeannine s says:

we haven’t really deviated from our sons sleep schedule this summer. He only stays up about a hour later then normal so hopefully when back to school hits it will not be a huge problem

29. Thanks for the tips. I always dreaded the beginning of school except for being glad to have some kid free time to myself. the hardest part was getting used to getting u early again.

30. kathy pease says:

thank you for all the great tips. I REALLY LIKE the idea of Creating a homework station..my son does his homework in his room but also in there is his ps3 and he gets easily distracted.im going to make him a homework station in the living room where he can do homework and only homework :)

31. Susan Foster O'Bryant says:

I especially liked the posts about breakfast ideas and packing hot lunches. Those two meals are the most difficult to plan for me.

32. Susan Smith says:

We start adjusting out childrens sleep schedule a couple of weeks before school buy having them go to bed 1 hour earlier and wake up 1 hour earlier.

33. Priscilla says:

Thanks for your great idea, especially the Five Tips for Back to School Success! I agree, setting a routine is essential.

34. It is hard to get back into the school routine after summer. The only adjustment we make is to start our bedtimes closer and closer to the school-time hour and begin to wake up earlier and earlier closer to the school wake up time.

35. Those are good tips. My best tip is to be as organized as possible at night to make mornings easier.

36. Debbie R says:

Read the post on Back to School Success :: Tips for transitioning from summer to school. I agree with all of the tips, but I loved the tip about taking a picture on the first day of school “holding a sign that says the name of the school and year.” I think that is a wonderful idea!

37. I like the after school snack called
    Ants on a Log (celery, peanut butter and raisins or chocolate chips for the ants)
    I like to take cucumbers and puse carrots pieces ro looklike smile faces.

Also, to get the little ones to eat more fruit or vegetables, cut the vegetables or fruit in to small pieces. Next, place the food on a small plate that has the child;s favorite chacter on it. I just purchased Cars paper plates and cups at a party store. The dollar store had Spiderman cups and plates.

38. I like the after school snack called
    I like to cut cucumbers into circles. Then, I put carrots pieces on top to look like smile faces.

Also, to get the little ones to eat more fruit or vegetables, cut the vegetables or fruit in to small pieces. Next, place the food on a small plate that has the child’s favorite character on it. I just purchased Cars paper plates and cups at a party store. The dollar store had Spiderman cups and plates

39. Richard Hicks says:

good tips to keep the little ones healthier and adults too!

brich22 at earthlink dot net

40. Tanya White says:

Tortilla with peanut butter and jelly, why haven’t I thought of that before!

41. Trisha McKee says:

My daughter has had such freedom. I definitely have to start implementing a schedule to prepare her!

42. This is my number one tip:
    1. It is very important to transition from summer to school. You want to create a set bedtime and routine for your children. In the 2 weeks before school start by getting into a routine of going to bed 10 minutes earlier until you are at the time you want for the children’s set bedtime. Annie, suggests introducing a quiet family time an hour before bed to help children settle down as well.

43. Michelle S says:

Argh. this is always the worst transitioning from summer sleep schedules into school schedules.

44. melody york says:

It’s always so hard to get back into a routine. We start our school routine a week before they actually start back. It makes it a bit easier when the first day of school comes.

45. kelly nicholson says:

it takes about a month to get back up to speed..thats my take

46. Kim Miller says:

My daughter goes to daycare so she is in summer camp. It hasn’t been any different really for her since she has to get up early every morning anyway. I have been getting her back in the “school routine” though. She starts school August 26th. We go up for bath at 7:00 then downstairs for a little cuddle/ TV time then upstairs at 8:00 for a book then bed by 8:15. Its good for a child to have a routine.