Flip-Flop Cakes Recipe is perfect for a Summer themed party! It could even be used for a vacation celebration kick off! We love this idea! Be sure to “PIN” this great recipe so you will have it when you are ready to make it. Please follow us on Pinterest and enjoy hundreds of recipes, crafts, party planning ideas, gardening, DIY and more.
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Pink, blue, yellow and green paste food coloring
- 4 pieces red rope licorice
- Candy buttons
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake according to package directions. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Trace flip-flop pattern onto waxed paper; cut out. Arrange pattern over cake; with a sharp knife, cut out. Flip pattern and cut out a second flip-flop. Discard scraps. Transfer cakes to a covered cake board.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and meringue powder. In the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer, combine the shortening, butter, milk and vanilla. Beat in sugar mixture.
- Tint 1 cup frosting pink; frost tops of cakes. Tint 1 cup frosting blue; frost sides of cakes. Insert licorice ends into cakes to form straps of flip-flops.
- Tint ¼ cup frosting yellow. Using a #4 round tip, pipe decorative lines on top of shoes. Using a #17 star tip, pipe rosettes where straps meet. Tint remaining frosting green. Using a #352 leaf tip, pipe leaves around rosettes.
- To finish, press candy buttons into sides of cakes; sprinkle cracker crumbs on board to form sand. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Thank You Taste Of Home for the picture and recipe!