We are literally swimming in zucchini from our garden and my son loves brownies so today I decided to bake some zucchini brownies. They were a big hit! Now my son doesn’t like frosting but if he did I think these would be great frosted too.
My son gobbled down the brownie and didn’t even mention that it tasted different. My husband said there was a slight texture difference (a little more dense) but he enjoyed it and said that it was the best way to eat his veggies that he has had in a LONG time So I would give this recipe two thumbs up for taste and the fact that you are able to sneak in a vegetable into your families dessert.
On a side note I also decided to bake a box mix and added 2 cups of zucchini to the batter. I baked it in a 9×9 inch pan and baked it for 35 minutes. It was also a huge success with my family. So if you have some box mixes in your pantry you can sneak in a veggie that way too. I like the from scratch recipe because you know what you are putting into your body and it is not processed but I wanted to add this note as well.
Be sure to “PIN” this great recipe so you will have it when you are ready to make it. Please follow us on Pinterest and enjoy hundreds of recipes, crafts, party planning ideas, gardening, DIY and more.
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup oil or ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 2 cups finely shredded zucchini
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips – your choice whole or melted
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 9 baking pan with cooking spray, oil or shortening.
- Combine sugar, eggs, oil, flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl.
- Add cocoa, zucchini (you do not have to pat it dry but you can if you want too), vanilla. Mix until well combined with beaters.
- Stir in the chocolate chips or melt chocolate chips and add (I melted mine because my son doesn’t like whole chocolate chips in his brownies).
- Pour brownie batter into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the brownies are set.
- Cool and cut brownies into squares and serve.
You may also like these Zucchini Recipes:
How to make homemade marinara – secret ingredient zucchini