Artie The Airplane Recipe
- 1 large symmetrical watermelon (12 to 14 pounds)
- Bamboo skewers and one round wooden toothpick
- 1 red grape
- 1 medium unpeeled kiwi
- If necessary, cut a thin slice from bottom of watermelon so it sits level. Using a sharp paring knife, trace outlines of tail pieces, propeller and wings on the melon as shown in Fig. 1.
- Referring to Fig. 2, cut and carefully remove sections A, B and C. Remove fruit from sections, leaving 1/8 in. of fruit on the rind; set fruit aside.
- Set sections B and C aside for back wings.
- From section A, cut propeller, two side wings and two tail pieces; set aside.
- Carefully remove fruit from the melon to form a shell.
- Cut all fruit into cubes or balls. Set aside.
- Trim wings and tail pieces to fit smoothly against the melon.
- Attach wings and tail with skewers (fig. 3); trim skewers if necessary. Attach propeller with a toothpick; insert grape on end of toothpick. Place one halved kiwifruit next to airplane on either side for wheels as shown in photo.
- Fill with reserved watermelon cubes, a salad or dessert.
Courses Kids Party
Thank You Taste Of Home for the picture and recipe!