How to help a gluten attack

Are you gluten free?  Have you ever been glutened?  Read this tip on how to help with a gluten attack #Celiac

When I was first diagnosed with Celiac Disease and was suffering from daily gluten attacks I was given several pieces of advise from my chiropractor and friends that I want to share with you.

Of course the best tip of advice is to avoid gluten, cross contamination and you will feel better. However, what happens when you accidentally have a gluten attack? When I was trying to figure out what had gluten in it and what did not I was suffering from gluten attacks nearly every day. Luckily I got better at reading labels and decoding however if I do have a gluten attack or am accidentally glutened I turn to these tips.

How to help a gluten attack:

1. Take up to 4 shots of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar – Mix 1 TBSP of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar and mix it with 3 TBSP of water and drink. Followed by a 8 – 16 oz glass of water.
2. Take the juice of one fresh lemon and mix it with 2 quarts of water and drink it (not at one time).
3. Slice 1 cucumber and place it in a pitcher with 2 quarts of water. For best results allow the water to chill for 4 hours prior to drinking. Drink as much as you can (not at one time).
4. Sip on hot peppermint tea – it will help soothe your stomach.
5. Suck on a peppermint candy.

The day following a gluten attack, I personally try to get an adjustment from my chiropractor, drink as much water and rest. I also continue with up to 4 shots of Bragg’s if necessary.

I hope this helps!

You way also want to check out:

Change Your Diet, Change Your Child Part 1 or Part 2 and Part 3 or Part 4.

Disclaimer: I am not a health professional. I share with you my personal experience however I am in no way trying to represent a health care professional.

Comments

1. Kimberly B . says:

What are some of the symptoms you have with a gluten attack?

2. Kelley H says:

A great treatment I advise all clients suffering with a ‘gluten attack’ as well as food allergy reactions is 1/4 tsp baking soda in 2oz of water given at first symptom. For children we do 1/8 tsp baking soda in 2 oz water. (Surprisingly, kids will swallow it better than adults! )

This treatment neutralizes the reaction and quells symptoms. Kimberly, attacks for both gluten/celiac and food allergy can include abdominal pain & cramping, diarrhea, gas, nausa, etc.

Unfortunately, I see many clients misdiagnosed & treated inappropriately. Sigh. I advise everyone to get a diagnosis of celiac or gluten intolerance BEFORE taking all gluten out of their diet. A lot of people are told to take out all gluten when in fact it was only a wheat allergy and not a gluten intolerance, etc. the symptoms above can be seen in both illnesses.

***Any severe food allergy should be treated with Benadryl and/or Epi pen as prescribed by a doctor!***

Great tips Melissa!

3. Kimberly B . says:

Ok, forgive me if this seems like a silly question, but what is the difference between a gluten allergy and a wheat intolerance?

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

Kimberly B – an allergy and intolerance are different however those with an intolerance can not digest or tolerate gluten making them very sick.

4. Kelley H says:

It is NOT a silly question, I’m glad you asked! (I have doctors who do not know the difference!). Gluten intolerance is when the body is unable to break down the gluten found in grains. (Wheat, Kamut, Spelt, etc). Gluten is what gives breads it’s chewiness, etc. The only key in avoiding symptoms is to avoid all gluten, forever.

A wheat allergy is different. Here, wheat causes allergy symptoms but a person IS able to eat gluten in other grains such as Spelt, Kamut, rye, etc. While many symptoms are the same, the diseases are very different.

Another example is lactose intolerance and milk allergy. These are 2 different things! With lactose intolerance, your body lacks the enzyme that digests lactose in milk. But a milk allergy means your body CAN digest lactose, however you develop allergy symptoms when drinking milk. (This is the largest misdiagnosis amongst my clients, and gluten intolerance is 2nd).

I hope I cleared up your question! You are always welcome to email me with any questions, too. I’m happy to help and point you to more resources on this subject! keldal@hotmail.

5. Kimberly B . says:

Thank You Kelly.. I did send you an email. I appreciate it.

6. virginia says:

it is nice to know someone who knows the difference between a dairy allergy and lactose intolerance. my son has a dairy allergy and so many people dont realize that it means he can have no form of dairy and that it doesnt just cause a belly ache it makes him seriously ill

• Kelley H says:

It IS difficult having to educate the public over and over about this Virginia! Part of the fault lies with our doctors. They are quick to blame symptoms on lactose intolerance so that is more common for people to hear. Yet as you know, food allergy can be so dangerous. It is frustrating for those of us with allergies! Hang in there!! :)

7. Thanks for the tips. I just shared this on my page. I managed to gluten myself at breakfast. I am usually so good about cross contamination. The baking soda helped. Now onto the Braggs and cucumber water. Thanks again.

8. Elizabeth Ahrens says:

I drink whole leaf aloe vera juice- 8 oz. Daily, and a Probiitic when I think I have digested gluten. Aloe Vera juice is known for its many healing properties; one being the restoration of the intestinal lining. The best buy is Walmart pharmacy section by the Metamucil – a gallon of whole leaf aloe vera for less than $8. I’ve used it since 2007. Those with peripheral neuropathy or poor circulation/veins with absolutely benefit!

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

Thanks for sharing that! I drink Aloe Vera juice daily too in my green smoothies.

9. I have another one for you, it works for me and both my children: tonic water (with quinine). A few swallows and my stomach doesn’t hurt and I’m not running to the bathroom.

10. Wow! Thanks for sharing those tips. I have Celiac Disease and have been gluten free for over 3 years now. I still ocassionally get glutened – usually when I eat out. I will definitely try your tips out next time I am glutened.

11. Melissa McKenna says:

I actually have a wheat allergy and can’t eat or process wheat/wheat products. I have found the difference is the severity of reaction and level of tolerence. I’ve been tested for celiac (both blood and the invasive test) and unless its a coincidence I guess I could have a gluten intolerance too.

12. When I have a gluten attack sometimes putting a heating pad on my stomach helps ease the pain of for me feels like I’m trying to digest a cactus

13. Meaghan says:

I am so happy to read this. I am still working out the kinks and its seems even the tiniest bit digested is a problem. I do have a question, has anyone ever had problems with heart burn or something similar to that from their gluten intolerance?

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

I belch a lot and get really bad stomach bloating. My Mom had severe heartburn and acid reflux before going gluten free and now doesn’t have to take medication.

14. Does this also work for when Gluten causes your RA to flare. If I drink apple cider vinegar, will it prevent flare ups?

15. I didn’t have any ACV with the mother on hand so I just chugged some without it. Within a few minutes, my headache started to clear up. So I can imagine if I had Bragg’s on hand it would be much better. I still have the headache but it is not nearly as intense. I’m going to bookmark this one and keep it on hand. It is so bad for your body to constantly take anti-inflammatories and other stuff… and sometimes I don’t bring on this Gluten Attack myself (like I did today). Sometimes it just sneaks it’s way into my food. So this would be great for either situation.

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

So true Liz! Glad we could help you. I have used another brand before too and don’t get the same result as with Braggs.

16. What if you have cut gluten out years ago? I’ve been gluten free for 4 years but still get glutened now and again. Do I need to know if I am celiac? Or just continue to eat gluten free? If I do need to know, then do I need to reintroduce gluten before being tested?

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

I would not put myself through the pain of testing and just continue to eat gluten free. When you get glutened do you have a reaction?

17. This is Awesome! Super good to know, thank you! I’d like to add one to the list that helps me. I have a gluten intolerance/allergy. I’ve never been tested for celiacs. I figured out that I was gluten intolerant by doing an elimination diet. My symptoms are gas, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, and sadness/depression. My trick for helping the cramping and diarrhea is to take psyllium husk pills (you can buy them at target). You take 5 pills as soon as you start feeling the cramping and I usually have some tea with it too. The cramping goes away pretty quickly and your next BM is a healthy one.