- 3 Tbsp and 1¾ tsp warm water
- 2 Tbsp and 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp and 1 tsp fresh orange juice
- 1 Tbsp and 1 tsp Tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp and 1 tsp organic, gluten-free ketchup
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅛ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- ¾ tsp grated orange peel
- 1 Tbsp and 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb skinless, boneless organic chicken breasts, cubed
- 1¼ tsp gluten-free cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- chopped green onions for garnish (optional)
- In a bowl, stir together warm water, brown sugar, orange juice, tamari, ketchup, white vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes, five-spice powder, and orange peel until the sugar has dissolved and mixture is well combined.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet/wok over medium heat. Cook and stir chicken until outside is golden brown and inside is no longer pink; about 10 minutes.
- Pour sauce mixture over the chicken, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low; cover skillet. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk cornstarch and 2 Tbsp cold water in a small bowl until smooth. Then, stir into sauce slowly, a few tsp at a time. Let chicken and sauce cook for about 2 minutes to thicken. Serve with a side of rice or quinoa (pictured above). Sprinkle green onion over top, if desired.
This is a guest post written by Rachel Kokosenski. She is the Stockpiling Moms Gluten Free and Casein Free recipe expert.
Rachel is the mother of a son with Autism. She and her family began eating a gluten-free, casein-free diet in November 2011. Not long after, she discovered that she too was intolerant of gluten and has happily enjoyed discovering new ways to find delicious ways to enjoy eating a gfcf (gluten free and casein free) diet. Please visit her blog or contact her through Facebook or Twitter to learn more.
Other Gluten Free Recipes You May Enjoy:
Gluten Free and Dairy Free German Chocolate Cake
Gluten Free Garbanzo Beans and Spinach Recipe
Gluten Free Potato Bacon Pie
Gluten Free Rosemary Shortbread
Gluten-Free, Casein-Free “Twinkies”
Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Chicken & Peppers
Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Chicken Enchiladas
Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Crockpot Frito Pie