I love tiramisu! It is also one of my husband’s favorite desserts. I decided to make this for him as a test run for Valentine’s Day. There is nothing better than homemade tiramisu! I thought it would be harder to make that what it was. Of course if you made your own ladyfingers it would be. I was able to enjoy this 100% gluten free too! I used Schar Gluten Free Ladyfingers.
The most expensive ingredient was the mascarpone cheese, I purchased it for $5.89 for an 8 oz tub and then the lady fingers which were around $5.00. I had everything else so the price per serving was $1.82 each (large servings). I have seen this dessert as much as $10 per serving in nice Italian restaurants. You could even create this in the shape of a heart or decorate it with the cocoa in the shape of a heart. I may try that for Valentine’s Day. Be sure to Re-PIN this recipe so you have it when you are ready!
- 3 egg yolks (large eggs)
- 3 egg whites (large eggs)
- (If you don’t want to use raw eggs then you can substitute ¾ cup heavy whipping cream instead)
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Rum (or you can use ½ tsp – 1 tsp. rum extract)
- 5.3 oz package Ladyfingers
- 1¼ (10 oz) cups brewed coffee or espresso
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- Soak the ladyfingers well in coffee.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- In a separate bowl beat 3 egg yolks with sugar, then add the mascarpone cheese and rum (or rum extract).
- (If you are not using eggs when you beat the whipping cream with the sugar and add to the mascarpone cheese with rum or rum extract)
- Carefully fold egg whites into the cream mixture. Do not overmix.
- Arrange the soaked lady fingers in a shallow glass pan (I used a 9×9 pan).
- Cover them with ½ of the cream mixture.
- Add another layer of lady fingers.
- Cover with a layer of cream mixture.
- Sprinkle with cocoa powder and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- I used a pampered chef shaker to lightly dust or a sifter or sieve would work.
- I used Schar Gluten Free Lady Fingers to make this a gluten free recipe.
Be sure to check out these coffee posts:
DIY Containers – How to reuse your Coffee Mate Containers
If you are looking for a great deal on coffee check out Cross Country Cafe. We always post their Wacky Wednesday Deal (even better than you can find on Amazon) and other great deals as we find them too!
Gluten Free Recipes: