This is one of my favorite muffins. The boys are not that crazy about them but my husband and I love them. I think they are great for breakfast or an afternoon snack with some tea. If I’m going to a brunch these are perfect to make ahead of time and travel well in a tin or container.
For this recipe you will need yogurt and I used yogurt that I had frozen and then thawed. Be sure to check out this post – Can you FREEZE yogurt?
Be sure to “PIN” this great recipe so you will have it when you are ready to make it. Please follow us on Pinterest and enjoy hundreds of recipes, crafts, party planning ideas, gardening, DIY and more.
Lemon Poppyseed Muffin
- 1/2 cup sweet creamy butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 lemons, zest of, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Beat well after each.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating two times with the yogurt, then lemon juice, and then vanilla.
- Beat just until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, 3/4-full.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.
- I sometimes sprinkle the muffin mixture with sugar prior to putting in the oven just to add a little extra sweetness.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy: