It’s cold outside and soup is perfect to help you warm up. My family loves when I make grilled cheese and pepper sandwiches with this soup. I like to tear my grilled cheese sandwich and dip it in my soup, do you???
Be sure to “PIN” this great recipe so you will have it when you are ready to make it. Please follow us on Pinterest and enjoy hundreds of recipes, crafts, party planning ideas, gardening, DIY and more.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-low heat.
- Add chopped onion and celery; cook, stirring, until tender.
- Stir flour into the vegetable mixture, stirring until well incorporated.
- Gradually stir in milk and add the sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Continue to heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens and begins to boil.
- Dice tomatoes smaller or puree in a blender or processor, if desired.
- Heat tomatoes in a separate saucepan then gradually add them to the first mixture, stirring constantly.
- For a smooth and creamy mixture puree soup or serve as is (I prefer to use my immersion blender and make it smooth)
Be sure to check out these other recipes: