I created this recipe to take to our local Fire Fighters for Valentine’s Day. You can read my full post. I wanted something to really warm the hearts of the Fire Fighters so choosing Italian Sausage was the perfect addition to the recipe! I transferred it to a crock pot because it was easy for me to leave all day on the counter and cook while I was busy. This recipe had green pepper and onion because I like sneaking in a few veggies when I can. I serve it with shredded cheese and sour cream as well as crackers but corn bread would be good too!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground Johnsonville Italian sausage
- ½ white onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- 3 TBSP chili powder
- 2 TBSP garlic powder
- 4 cans tomato sauce, more or less depending on how thick you like your chili
- 4 cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large stock pot cook ground beef and sausage. If you can’t find the ground sausage you can remove the casing from links.
- Drain fat
- Add onion and green pepper, cook for 3-5 minutes
- Add Sauce, tomatoes, kidney beans and spices and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a crock pot and cook on low or 4-6 hours.
Other Chili Recipes You May Enjoy: