On Valentine’s Day I partnered with Johnsonville Sausage to “share the love” and “warm the hearts” of my local fire department. If you have never thought of delivering breakfast, lunch or dinner to your local fire station you should consider it. It is a great way to pay it forward and I can tell you from personal experience it can be a life changing experience for your entire family. I would suggest calling ahead to let them know so they don’t plan a meal and shop for groceries that day. We delivered dinner and then took a tour of the fire station as a family. My son got one on one time talking with a fireman and got to see all of the trucks and fire house with his own tour. It was PRICELESS.
The time my husband and I spent talking to the fire fighter awesome as well. He shared with us so many facts and we got to know him on a more personal level. Their hours are long and their family life is cut short because of their shifts but they are dedicated to their career. What I learned that I didn’t know is that they pay for their own meals out of their pocket. There is no “budget” for that. So by paying it forward today not only did we save them the time and effort of preparing their own meal on Valentine’s Day dinner we were able to save their family money which we loved being able to do.
Here is my chili recipe:
Fire Fighters Chili
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground Johnsonville Italian sausage
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 3 TBSP chili powder
- 2 TBSP garlic powder
- 4 cans tomato sauce, more or less depending on how thick you like your chili
- 4 cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large stock pot cook ground beef and sausage. If you can't find the ground sausage you can remove the casing from links.
- Drain fat
- Add onion and green pepper, cook for 3-5 minutes
- Add Sauce, tomatoes, kidney beans and spices and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a crock pot and cook on low or 4-6 hours.
Other Chili Recipes You May Enjoy:
Johnsonville Italian Chili Challenge:
Now is your chance to take one of the Italian Sausage Chili recipes prepared by the pros (judges), add your twist and tell Johnsonville why it’s better. Each judge will select the recipe that best modified the original and these four entrants will win a 5.5 qt. Flame Stewpot and a $1,000 gift card from Emile Henry® as well as a year’s supply of Johnsonville Italian Sausage.