Puppy Crate Training Schedule

Puppy Crate Training Schedule

This Puppy Crate Training Schedule is a great way to potty train your new puppy and help the whole family adjust at the same time.  We used this crate schedule when Rocky came home and I was able to have him fully Potty Trained in two weeks!

This is a basic guideline for house training your puppy.  If your work schedule or lifestyle doesn’t allow this schedule then you need to use the basic guideline of letting your puppy out of the crate approximately every 2 1/2 hours and 1/2 hour after feeding.

When you bring home a new puppy you must give your puppy rest periods in the crate and you must watch your puppy at all times when out of the crate.  I was told by our trainer to think of a puppy just like you would  a baby.  Don’t hold the baby when it sleeps or it will get used to that and the same goes for a puppy.  Puppies need “rest time” and by resting in their crate they are getting used to it and feel comfortable there.

The best tip I can give you is to take a week of vacation if at all possible when you bring home a new puppy.  Also, keep with the same food that your puppy came home eating.  If you want to change foods do it slowly by mixing the old food with the new brand in a 75/25 ratio – to 50/50 and finally 25/75 until their digestive system gets used to the new food.

By following this schedule you will be able to potty train your puppy.  We were able to train our puppy in less than 2 weeks 100% by following this schedule.  By day 3 he had no accidents in the crate and very few in the house after day three.

Puppy Crate Training Schedule

7:00 am – Wake up and go out

7:15 am – Free time (must watch at all times)

7:30 am – Food and water (pick up food when finished)

8:00 am – Go out

8:15 am – Free time (must watch at all times)

9:30 am – Confine for rest period

11:15 am – Go out

11:30 am – Food and water (pick up food when finished)

12:00 – pm – Go out

12:15 pm – Free time (must watch at all times)

1:45 pm – Confine for rest period

3:30 pm – Go out

3:45 pm – Free time (must watch at all times)

5:00 pm – Food and water (pick up food when finished)

5:30 pm – Go out

5:45 pm – Confine for rest period

8:00 pm – Go out

8:15 pm – Water only (pick up the water for the night when finished)

8:30 pm – Free time (must watch at all times)

11:00 pm – Go out and confine overnight

SPM-Pin-it-here

crateblanket

Do NOT be tempted to get your puppy out of the crate if it cries or whimpers.  A tip is to cover the crate with a blanket during confinement so that  your puppy will rest peacefully.  It may be best to place the crate in a location in your house where it will be isolated and not easily disturbed.  When you take your new puppy out of the crate from confinement go immediately outside.   I suggest that you have your coat on and leash in hand before opening the crate so that you avoid an opportunity for an accident, this is especially helpful during inclement weather.

This schedule works really well when you stick to it!  Good Luck!

Posts You May Enjoy:

DoggyLoot – A great way to save

YourPet.com – Social Network for Pets

Oster Animal Care

Puppy Crate Training Schedule

Tips for Training Dogs

Doggy Diaper Bag

Should you dress your pet?

Be sure to check out more DEALS

LT - 090909 - 460x80 Logo

Comments

1. sandy weinstein says:

love your puppy. i have 3 min. schnauzers…..please do more pictures of rocky….they grow up so fast…..take lots of pictures…..could you just eat him up….so cute

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

I take pics almost every day – I love him so much :-) Thanks!!! I would love to see pics of yours too!

2. Hi! Thanks for the article. When you say “confine for rest period” did you mean leaving her inside the crate? Or just inside the house? Thank you!

3. why is the last confinement longer than the rest of them?

4. I am a bit confused. It appears that you have 3 crate confinement times and many hours out of crate that require constant watch of pup. I too love schnauzers and have a 14 week old one. He is finally sleeping through the night. But even when I see that he has just peed outside, he will often still pee immediately when he comes in. Help

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

Our pup didn’t have many accidents in the house using this schedule – you may need to start limiting water. Do you leave a bowl out all of the time?

5. This looks like a great schedule….. I’ve been trying to follow a schedule that has much more crate time. We are on week 2 with a 2 month old puppy….I’m going to easy into this schedule. Thanks!

6. Question: what do you do overnight? No potty breaks from 11pm-7am or do you take pup out as needed? Ours is 6 weeks old – not sure she can hold up for 8 hours. Thanks!

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

No breaks during the night but you can let your dog out at 5:00 am or 6:00 am if necessary. He was following this crate schedule at 10 weeks old.

7. Judy McGuirk says:

Thank you for sharing this helpful information! I’ve never crate trained a puppy before, but have heard many positive results. I got a 7 week old Pomeranian puppy, Chloe Jayde on Valentine’s Day, so I’m very new with all of this. Lol! In fact, I’m laughing right now, as I realize that I’m breaking one of your “rules” right now by having her crate sitting on my coffee table where she is able to see me. Lol! However, she’s quite content and sleeping at this moment. I found your article whenever I was searching for a printable calendar to use to record her food, sleep, and potty times and schedule. I’ve read other articles about helpful and important it is to do so, at least at the very beginning. I realize that there will probably be variances with the schedules, I did a copy and paste of yours above to have an example for me to go by. I appreciate you taking the time to share this information!
    Sincerely…and a dog lover, too!, Judy

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

Thanks so much Judy. I know you and Chloe will have a lifetime of puppy kisses and love :-)

8. I will be using this schedule in 2 weeks. I am home all day so I will have the time to train my puppies. I have one question. The next to last (8:30 Free time ) 11:pm go out. Does that mean they play from 8:30 to 11:pm???? I hope you get back to me as I am a little confused….Thanks & Please help me!!!!

9. I am going to try this tomorrow! I was curious to know how long it should take until the puppy finds this as a regular behavior and when they become trained, how do you go about leaving the crate out of it except to sleep in at night?

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

After the puppy is potty trained and having no accidents. For us that was around 3 months old.

10. Our dog is 12 weeks old and he is potty trained for the most part, but always has a poo accident when he is put in his kennel while I am at school. He also flings his poo outside if his kennel and steps and lays in it. We have tried using a divider to make the kennel smaller, and also a puppy pad on one side with a bed on the other, nothing works. He sleeps in the bed with us now. SUGGESTIONS, HELP.. PLEASE!!!

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says:

He is really too young to be sleeping in the bed with you. He needs to know that the crate is his “home” so by sleeping in the crate this will cause him to not “poop” in it. I hope that makes sense!