Crockpot Applesauce BBQ Chicken is a delicious recipe with only 6 ingredients! Three of those ingredients are spices that you probably already have in your pantry. When I came across this recipe when I was planning Freezer Cooking Meals I couldn’t resist giving it a try because all I needed was chicken, applesauce and BBQ sauce in addition to the spices. This dinner recipe was so easy to put together in a freezer ziploc bag and just as easy to thaw and put in the crockpot. You can easily dump the ingredients straight into the slow cooker or you can prep as a freezer meal.
To prep as a freezer meal, label a gallon size ziploc bag with name of the recipe and cooking directions. Mix pepper, applesauce, BBQ sauce, sugar and chili powder in ziploc bag. Add chicken and stir. Lay the bag flat in the freezer. When you are ready to make it, put the bag in the fridge overnight to thaw. In the morning spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray, or use a crockpot liner for easy clean-up. Pour the contents of the bag into the crockpot. Cook 6-8 hours on low setting.
I served it on a bed of rice with a side salad and garlic bread. My kids loved the sweetness of this meal and want to know when we will be having it again. It was delicious and is already on the menu for a second time! I hope you enjoy this easy Crockpot Applesauce BBQ Chicken Recipe as much as we did. It is soon to become a family favorite at your house once you give it a try!
Crockpot Applesauce BBQ Chicken
Yield 4 -6
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 t ground pepper
- 2/3 cup chunky applesauce
- 2/3 cup BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Brown Sugar/Hickory)
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 t chili powder
- Label ziploc bag with nale of recipe and directions.
- Mix pepper, applesauce, BBQ sauce, sugar and chili powder in ziploc bag.
- Add chicken and stir.
- Lay the bag flat in the freezer.
- When you are ready to make it, put the bag in the fridge overnight to thaw.
- In the morning spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray, or use a crockpot liner for easy clean-up.
- Pour the contents of the bag into the crockpot.
- Cook 6-8 hours on low setting.