Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore will have your mouth watering all day! Your taste buds will be ready to eat this delicious Italian dinner dish just from the aroma it puts off while it is cooking! My boys kept asking all day when dinner would be ready because it smelled so good.
I had made this recipe as a Freezer Cooking meal and then simply pulled it out the night before I was ready to make it and let it thaw in the fridge. Then in the morning all I had to do was pour it into the crockpot and turn it on low and let it simmer all day. The only extra step I had to do was make some pasta to serve with it. This amazing dinner recipe was a huge success in my house and will defiantly make it on the menu again! I served it with Homemade Garlic Bread.
- 8 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- ½ large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh herbs such as basil or parsley for topping (optional)
- Label a ziploc freezer bag with name of recipe and instructions.
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper and place in ziploc bag.
- Pour tomatoes over the chicken, top with onions and peppers, add oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper, give it a quick stir and close the bag, be sure to get as much air out as possible.
- Place in freezer on a flat surface.
- When yo are ready to make this meal, pull the bag out of the freezer the night before and thaw in the fridge.
- In the morning pour into the crock pot.
- Set crock pot to LOW 8 hours or HIGH 4 hours.
- When the timer beeps, remove lid and keep the crock pot on HIGH one hour to help it thicken.
- Remove bay leaf, adjust salt and pepper and enjoy!