Chicken and Pumpkin Soup was a huge success in my house! This soup recipe is definitely worth trying and you will be glad you did. It will only take an hour of your time but the soup will taste as if you spent all day cooking in the kitchen to make it. This savory, smoky tasting soup is perfect to serve on a nice cool autumn day. I will be sure to add this dinner soup to my weekly menu plan again.
If you love pumpkin everything you are going to fall in love with this soup recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It is perfect for fall.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 large chicken breast (3/4 lb.)
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin pureé
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Add both to a large soup pot along with the olive oil and sauté over medium heat until the onions are translucent (3-5 min.)
- Add the chicken breast (whole) and chicken broth.
- Place a lid on the pot, turn the heat up to high, and allow it to come to a full boil.
- As soon as it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low and allow the pot to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Make sure the pot does not stop simmering after turning down the heat ~ If it does, increase the heat slightly until it is gently simmering.
- After 30 minutes, remove the chicken breast from the broth and use two forks to shred the meat.
- Return the shredded meat to the pot.
- Add the pumpkin purée and stir until the it has mixed into the broth.
- Take one or two chipotle peppers from the can (one pepper for a milder soup, two for a spicier soup) and mince them.
- Add the minced peppers and about a teaspoon of the adobo sauce from the can to the soup.
- Rinse the black beans and add them to the soup, along with the frozen corn kernels and cumin.
- Allow the soup to come up to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes more to allow the flavors to blend.
- Taste the soup and add about ½ teaspoon of salt if desired.
- Roughly chop the cilantro and stir it into the soup just before serving.
Be sure to try these other Soup recipes: