Crockpot Honey Pork and Apples
Easy Crockpot Meatloaf2

Funeral Rolls

Funeral Rolls are simply the best sandwich and so easy to make.  My husband loves this appetizer!

Funeral Rolls taste AMAZING! They are an easy appetizer recipe to make and let me tell you they are nothing to mourn about. I was introduced to these delicious Funeral Sandwiches years ago when I taught at North Laurel High in London, KY. My co-worker made these for a teachers meeting and everyone gobbled them up!  She told me they are called Funeral Rolls because they were prepared for funeral “layouts” traditionally in the South.

They are so easy to make and what I love is that can prepare them in advance and then bake them when you are ready. I made these for my family this year at Christmas and they loved them! They would make a fabulous appetizer for game day too!

We prefer our Funeral Rolls to be made with Kings Hawaiian Rolls.  Simply Cut each roll in half, lengthwise and place bottom halves on the bottom of a baking pan.  Then Layer bottom half with ham slices and cheese and place the top half back on.

In a bowl, Mix together the butter, Worcestershire, mustard, brown sugar and onion powder. Pour sauce over sandwiches, drenching each one. Cover tightly and marinade anywhere from 4-24 hours. Overnight works best!  This is why I love this recipe because you make them in advance and pull them out to bake later!

4.8 from 5 reviews
Funeral Rolls
Recipe type: Appetizer
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6

• 1 package (12 ct) of King’s Hawaiian Rolls (or other brand of choice)
  • 1 lb. Ham (sliced thin)
  • Swiss or Provolone Cheese, thinly sliced
  • ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 3 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 TBSP mustard
  • 2 TBSP brown sugar
  • ¼ tsp onion powder
  • optional, poppy seeds
  1. Cut each roll in half, lengthwise and place bottom halves on the bottom of a baking pan.
  2. Layer bottom half with ham slices and cheese and place the top half back on.
  3. In a bowl, Mix together the butter, Worcestershire, mustard, brown sugar and onion powder. Pour sauce over sandwiches, drenching each one. Cover tightly and marinade anywhere from 4-24 hours. Overnight works best!
  4. Preheat oven to 350°.
  5. Optional - sprinkle poppy seeds over the top
  6. Bake for 15 minutes uncovered,or until cheese is melted and bun tops are a bit golden.

SPM-Pin-it-here

Appetizer Recipes:

Salami Rolls (Gluten Free)

Bacon Cheddar Cheese Pull Aparts

Skyline Dip

Artichoke Dip

Garlic Lemon Wings

Hot and Spicy Chicken Tenders

Jalapeno Popper Dip (Low Fat ~ Weight Watchers)

Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe

Comments

• Kathy H. says

So funny…I forgot all about these until the beginning of the month and was looking for the recipe since I had no idea what they were called…YA printing and I already had them pinned, du!!!!

1. KaSonia says

Tried this half Kaiser rolls other half Hawaiian rolls, half turkey/cheddar and other half ham/provolone, and no marinade and they came out great, I also have some in fridge to marinate to see which way is best.. yum yum thanks

2. says

I’ve been looking for this recipe. I remembered that they were called Funeral Rolls, but not what goes in them! When I got to the recipe and saw North Laurel High School, I decided I had better save it and show it to my husband…he was in the first graduating class at North!

3. Kim T says

For a nice make ahead then freeze option, hand shredded meat and cheese, pour the sauce over the meat and cheese, mix all in a bowl put spoonful in each roll that is pre sliced, then wrap each sandwich or several in a foil packet. You can grab a few at a time and put in the oven as guests arrive. Taste heavenly!

4. Joni Turner says

I make these but with mustard instead of brown sugar, and onion flakes instead of powder. Lol we call them blue Moon rolls. That’s how often I make than, just bc I will make a ton and only get 1 :(

5. Franceaz says

I want to make these for a potluck at work. Any suggestions on how I could keep them warm/reheat – since I will bake them before leaving for work? There would be almost 4 hours before being served at the potluck. Thank you in advance!

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says

They are also great reheated – do you have access to an over or a microwave? could you put them in a crockpot with foil to keep warm on low – just thinking out loud here.

6. Tammie says

Do you eat these warm or can they be cool or at room temp? My boys are heading out on a road trip and I was thinking about making these for them and wrapping in foil.

7. Danae says

My husband is extremely picky and does not normally eat ham. I made these last week and everyone loved them! My husband requested I make them again this week! They are AMAZING!!

8. Will Schmelzle says

Soooo good! Ironically, a friend made these for my father-in-law’s funeral dinner. We actually crave them. Highly recommended! Thanks for the great recipe!

9. connie robinson says

I make the funeral sandwiches but they came out soggy why I baked them about 30 minutes and I pour off a lot or the butter sauce. Can y o u help me

10. Christine says

What keeps the bread from becoming a soggy mess? I have a husband who is very concerned about that, but I’d like to try these for Easter lunch.

• Melissa@StockpilingMoms says

They aren’t soggy – they are delicious. My husband LOVES these. They would be perfect for Easter! Plus you can make them in advance and then just bake that day.