Beef Barley Soup is perfect on a cold, winter day. This hearty soup recipe brings comfort and warmth to you. It is so fulfilling and is only 8 points plus on Weight Watchers and is a clean eating recipe. My husband and I could not believe how much taste this soup had with so few ingredients in it. The bay leaves bring such good flavor to this soup, so be sure to put them in!
If you have a husband like mine who loves bread with his soup, you can pick up a french loaf at your local bakery or you can make Sour Cream Rolls. You can make this Gluten Free by using quinoa instead of barley!
Be sure to “PIN” this great recipe so you will have it when you are ready to make it. Please follow us on Pinterest and enjoy hundreds of recipes, crafts, party planning ideas, gardening, DIY and more.
Weight Watchers Points Plus = 5 Points
Beef Barley Soup
- 1 tsp oil
- 1-1/2 lbs lean beef round stew meat
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 - 2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup dry barley
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat a large heavy pot or dutch oven on medium heat.
- Add oil and beef, season with a little salt and brown meat a few minutes.
- When meat is browned, add carrots, onion, celery and garlic to the pot and give it a good stir.
- Add water, salt and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer covered over low heat until the meat is soft, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- Add the barley, adjust the salt if needed and add fresh ground pepper.
- Simmer an additional 30-35, remove bay leaves and serve.
Makes 7 1/2 cups.
Courses Weight Watchers