Valentine’s Day Red Velvet Cupcakes are moist and delicious! This dessert is easy to prepare and always seem to be a big hit at Valentine’s day parties or to give to a special someone. I see red velvet cupcakes all the time in the cupcake stores and on restaurant menus. So I decided to give it a try and make some at home!
For the frosting I used my recipe ==> Homemade Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting.
Did you know that you can freeze cream cheese? It works great and saves money! I like to purchase cream cheese in bulk on sale and stockpile it for recipes. Check out this post Can You Freeze Cream Cheese to find out how!
Be sure to “PIN” this great recipe so you will have it when you are ready to make it. Please follow us on Pinterest and enjoy hundreds of recipes, crafts, party planning ideas, gardening, DIY and more.
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Yield 30 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle McCormick® Red Food Color
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended.
- Do not overbeat.
- Spoon batter into 30 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool completely.
- Frost with Homemade Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting.