After searching everywhere for affordable coconut yogurt I finally decided there was no such thing. So I set out to make my own, after looking all over at various techniques and forms of milk I worked out a simple 4 ingredient yogurt base that can be flavored anyway you like after you make it. I attempted this first with a carton of coconut milk from the grocery store and that didn’t work, be sure to use canned coconut milk without thickeners. I paid just under $5 for 3 cans of coconut milk.
- 3 cans coconut milk
- 1 small container plain yogurt
- 3 tsp. gelatin
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- You will also need a candy thermometer
- Preheat crockpot on high.
- Pour coconut milk into crockpot and heat until it reaches 180, this will take anywhere from 1-2 hours, check periodically with candy thermometer.
- Once coconut milk has reached temperature turn off heat, bring temp down to 120, add yogurt, gelatin and honey, stir well to combine.
- Wrap crockpot very well to insulate in 4-5 towels or a large thick blanket.
- Allow to ferment overnight.
- In the morning it will still be pretty runny, that is normal.
- Stir your yogurt, place it in the container you want to keep it in and place in fridge, as it gets cold it will gel and firm up.
- Store in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- Tips - Save a little from this batch to make your next one and you wont need to purchase at the store again, the live cultures from the premade yogurt is what activates.
Now you can flavor your homemade coconut yogurt in dozens of ways. To sweeten and keep it healthy opt for maple syrup or honey instead of processed sugars.
You can also stir in pureed fruit like strawberries, blueberries, pineapples, bananas, pears, or mango. Another idea is to experiment with different extracts – almond, hazelnut , chocolate, coffee, or coconut to add another layer of flavor.
Top with granola, whole fresh fruit, dry cereal, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, shredded coconut, or dried fruit.