Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole is an amazing way to start your day and did I mention that it is Dairy and Wheat Free. Yes this casserole is dairy free, wheat free and tastes so good! It is also Whole 30 approved, which seems to be all the rage right now for getting healthy and back on track. To learn more about it click here – Whole 30. My friend, Amanda and her husband are currently on the Whole 30 and she made this delicious casserole.
You can prep this on Sunday night so on Monday morning you can bake it and enjoy it. Then you can have it the rest of the week by simply heating it up. What a great way to start your morning with a healthy breakfast. Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole is easy to make and you will love the scrumptious taste. Be sure to try it soon, you will not be disappointed!
Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
Yield 8 -10
- 1 pound ground pork (or meat of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes (3-4 potatoes)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 8 eggs (large - extra large)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (canned) can sub other milk like almond milk
- Sea Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- In a skilled combine the pork, garlic powder, salt, thyme, sage, fennel, red pepper flakes and black pepper.
- Cook until almost done.
- Add the onions and finish cooking.
- Meanwhile, place sweet potatoes on a jelly roll pan and broil on high for 10 minutes, stir and broil another 5 minutes (I keep my pan in the middle of the oven, if yours is higher you may need to cut down on the time).
- Turn oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together coconut milk and eggs then season with salt and pepper.
- Spread broiled sweet potatoes in the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan.
- Top with meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with the bell peppers.
- Pour egg mixture over the top.
- Put in preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Notes:To make the night before, follow the steps for the sausage and sweet potatoes and layer those and the bell pepper in the pan; Place in refrigerator; Whisk eggs in a bowl and put in refrigerator; In the morning add the coconut milk to the eggs and whisk and pour over the pan; Place in cold oven and turn to 350; Bake for 35 minutes.