Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese is my family’s favorite side dish for most meals. If you were to ask my boys what they want for dinner, you can bet the answer will be macaroni and cheese! My husband even loves this creamy recipe. I like that this recipe does not come from a box of preservatives and I can make it in about 15 minutes. So it is a perfect side dish when making dinner for your family.
One of the most important things to remember when making this recipe is to not let the milk and flour burn or cook too long. If you do this then the flavor will not taste good. You may need to add more or less of the salt and pepper to your liking. Other than that this Stovetop Homemade Macaroni and Cheese recipe will soon become one of your favorites! I like to serve 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Turkey Breast and Old Fashioned Mashed Potatoes.
- 1½ cups macaroni (uncooked)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1¼ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- dash of dried mustard
- In a medium saucepan, cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Drain and set aside.
- Whisk together milk and flour in the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add cheese, salt, pepper and mustard; stir until smooth.
- Mix in cooked ,macaroni.
- Remove heat and let stand for 5 minutes then serve.