Pancakes are always a welcome treat for breakfast in our home, but these skinny apple pancakes make breakfast a super special event. Not only are they delicious, they are light, fluffy and of course, healthier than a traditional pancake. Using a great applesauce base gives them plenty of amazing flavor and helps make them healthier while not sacrificing the taste you are looking for.
Skinny Apple Pancakes
There are two secret ingredients that make sure these apple pancakes are delicious and full of flavor. Applesauce and diet lemon lime soda. The carbonation helps give it the fluffy texture you want, while not creating tons of extra calories. The applesauce is a great addition that adds flavor easily to make them a perfect special treat for breakfast.
2 cup flour (whole wheat or your favorite gluten free blend)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 large egg
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup diet lemon-lime soda
1 cup fat-free milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 apple diced
1/2 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon sugar (or preferred sugar substitute)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
I usually sift my dry ingredients together just to make sure there aren’t any lumps. Then I’ll mix wet ingredients in separate bowl and combine the two. Many say you should add the liquid slowly to this, but I prefer just the two easy steps. If the batter is too thick for your preference, you can easily add in a bit more milk or soda to loosen it up.
As your pancakes are cooking on the griddle, take your diced apple, cinnamon and butter and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Check for tenderness of apple and heat in 30-second increments until soft. This will be a great topping for your pancakes to replace syrup or in addition to syrup.
- 2 cup flour (whole wheat or your favorite gluten free blend)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 cup diet lemon-lime soda
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Topping:
- 1 apple diced
- ½ teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or preferred sugar substitute)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Place ingredients for topping to the side.
- Heat griddle using non-stick spray to prevent pancakes from sticking.
- In large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon
- In medium bowl whisk together egg, applesauce, diet soda, milk and vanilla extract
- Add wet ingredients to dry mix and blend until well incorporated. May add additional liquid (milk or soda) if you prefer a thinner blend.
- Pour ⅓ cup pancake batter onto griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, flipping when bubbling and browned.
- While pancakes are cooking, add apple, butter, sugar and cinnamon to microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and check for tenderness. If apples are not tender, continue heating in 30-second increments until desired texture.
- Serve pancakes with drizzle of maple syrup and spoon of apple topping.
These skinny apple pancakes are the ideal healthier weekend breakfast treat! Enjoy these with a side of fresh fruit, turkey bacon or Canadian bacon for a well-rounded meal to begin your day. Yum