I love a good meatball, but sauce for meatballs is tough on the Whole 30 diet. That’s why I fell in love with these Whole 30 BBQ Meatballs. This combinations of flavors is great to go alongside some roasted vegetables and spaghetti squash for a meal, or to serve as a Whole 30 approved appetizer for your next dinner party. I prefer using ground turkey, but you can use ground beef, bison, venison or chicken to make your bbq meatballs.
Whole 30 BBQ Meatballs
It took some time to get this sauce just right, but after a little work and taste testing, this comes close to one of my favorite classic barbecue sauces without going outside the boundaries of my Whole 30 diet plan. While some prefer adding a binder to their meatballs, I go with straight meat so they are hearty and full of flavor. You can add a bit of Whole 30 approved flour if you prefer, but I think they are just fine as they are.
1 pound ground meat
2 cloves minced garlic
1 shallot diced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces tomato paste
2 tablespoons Coconut Aminos
1 tablespoon Black Strap Molasses
1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon hot sauce
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line baking sheet with aluminum foil.
In large bowl, mix together your ground meat, egg, garlic, shallot, salt and pepper until well combined.
Create 2″ balls and place on lined baking sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees or until meat thermometer shows done (160 degrees).
Remove from oven and set aside.
In large saucepan, combine all ingredients for sauce.
Cook over medium high heat until boiling.
Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Pour over meatballs and serve.
- 1 pound ground meat
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 shallot diced
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Aminos
- 1 tablespoon Black Strap Molasses
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, mix together your ground meat, egg, garlic, shallot, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Create 2" balls and place on lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees or until meat thermometer shows done (160 degrees).
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients for sauce.
- Cook over medium-high heat until boiling.
- Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour over meatballs and serve.
These Whole 30 BBQ meatballs are a perfect option for a fast and delicious appetizer or the base of a favorite meal. They add a bit of a treat to a boring diet and of course stay compliant with your Whole 30 diet. While many say that the molasses is not compliant, it is one treat that is often found in Whole 30 recipes as it is a natural sugar and much better than other sweeteners available. It may be a choice you make only after you are out of your initial 30 days on the plan, and only for a rare treat.