I love using Crockpot freezer meals to save time on dinner during busy weeks. Creating a healthy chicken spaghetti recipe for the freezer that can then go directly into the Crockpot for an easy meal was my new goal this week. I am happy to say I had amazing success!
Healthy Chicken Spaghetti Crockpot Freezer Meal
Traditional chicken spaghetti in the South contains a block of Velveeta. The not quite cheese cheesy spread is ridiculously delicious but insanely unhealthy and full of fat and calories. My goal in making our healthy chicken spaghetti was to find a way to get that creamy cheesy flavor without using this traditional food product. I was lucky that I managed to create something on the first try that is truly a hit with everyone in our house.
Instead of using Velveeta, I used 98% fat-free cream soups and low-fat cheeses. I also skipped the classic Ro-Tel and used a mild salsa instead. The flavor was much better overall and I found the salsa mixed into the sauce better than Ro-Tel giving every bite the same rich flavor.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1" cubes
- 1 small onion diced fine
- 1 can 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
- 1 can 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup mild salsa
- ½ cup low-fat pepper jack cheese shredded
- ½ cup 2% sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt to taste (soups tend to be salty so I adjust after cooked)
- 1 8 ounces package angel hair pasta
- Place all ingredients into Crockpot except for pasta.
- Mix ingredients until chicken is coated and all soups and seasonings are well blended.
- Cook on high heat setting for 3 hours.
- Stir and add pasta (may break into small pieces to mix easier if preferred).
- Cook additional hour on low heat setting.
If you plan to make this as a freezer meal to cook in your Crockpot later, you can choose one of the following methods. Both work great, but it really depends on your preference. Some people like to pre-cook their freezer meals so they only need to reheat them. Others prefer to prep and cook in the Crockpot on the day they are to be eaten.
Option A: Prepare as directed in instructions. Portion into freezer bags or containers. Label and date. To reheat, thaw in refrigerator overnight and prepare in oven or microwave depending on preferences.
Option B: Add all ingredients except pasta into a freezer bag. Label and date. To prepare, thaw in refrigerator overnight and pour into Crockpot day you plan to eat. Cook as directed.
This healthy chicken spaghetti is a great weeknight meal that everyone in your family will love! Add it to your regular Crockpot and Freezer Meal menu plans!
Weight Watchers SmartPoints: 9 per serving
Nutritional Info Per Serving (8 servings)
Saturated Fat: 2g
Sugar: 1 1/2 g
Protein: 24 g
This post contains affiliate links.