This slow cooker honey lime chicken and butternut squash was a HUGE hit at my house. Honestly I had no idea how the butternut squash would hold up in the slow cooker but I was surprised at how well it did. Not only was it not too mushy it held the flavor of the marinade and tasted out of this world. I thought it was a great flavor combination. This is an easy freezer meal that you can prepare in the slow cooker when you are ready.
A helpful tip is to purchase your butternut squash peeled and chopped at your grocery store. In my opinion it is worth every penny. I served this with roasted potatoes and my family really enjoyed it. The butternut squash was so flavorful and we really enjoyed this easy Paleo meal. If you want to make this Whole30 compliant do not use the honey.
Be sure that you invest in a good quality slow cooker. Our favorite is this programmable cook and carry 6qt oval slow cooker. A great way to save money is to purchase your meat in bulk from ZayconFresh. I LOVE their chicken! You can adjust this recipe to feed your family using 4-6 pieces of meat. I personally use 4 to feed my family of 3 with a leftovers for lunch the next day. I use 2 lbs of chicken in my recipe but you can adjust between 4-6 cuts of chicken. Use chicken thighs for a moist and tender choice.
I hope you enjoy this Slow Cooker Honey Lime Chicken and Butternut Squash as much as we did. It is a yummy Paleo and Whole30 Friendly recipe.
- 1 pound cubed butternut squash
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar (I use Bragg's)
- 1 TBSP Raw Honey (I use local raw honey)
- 4-6 boneless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs (I used 2 lbs)
- 1 fresh lime juiced or 2 TBSP Lime Concentrate - I use Santa Cruz
- 1 tsp dried garlic
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper your chicken breasts.on both sides
- Add all ingredients to a freezer safe bag except chicken broth.
- When ready to cook thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Place into slow cooker and add ½ cup chicken broth.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.