If you are looking for a delicious and flavorful vegetarian slow cooker meal then Winter Squash and Apples is for you. Best of all it is an easy freezer meal. Simply prep and freeze and when you are ready to prepare thaw in your refrigerator overnight. Best of all you simply dump into in the crock pot for the day and go. When you come home you will have a delicious vegetarian dinner or side dish that is ready for your family.
Be sure that you invest in a good quality slow cooker. Our favorite is this programmable cook and carry 6qt oval slow cooker.
Best of all this is a Whole30 compliant meal that is also Paleo and gluten free. I love how this recipe reminds me of fall. You can easily serve it from the slow cooker or if you prefer you can puree it to more of an applesauce consistency. I would suggest doubling this recipe if you are using it as a main dish.
- 1 butternut squash (1 lb)
- 2 apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- salt/pepper - optional
- ¼ cup olive oil or Ghee
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce (no sugar added)
- Place all ingredients in a zip loc bag.
- When ready to prepare thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Place into the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours
- Salt and pepper before serving.