Homemade Chocolate Caramel Turtles are one of my favorite indulgences! I also like that in this recipe it uses pretzels and no pecans, because I do not like pecans or walnuts. So for those who love chocolate, caramel and pretzels you will definitely love these turtles!
When ever I make these Homemade Chocolate Caramel Turtles I usually make two batches and take one batch and freeze it for a later time. You can keep these in the freezers for 3 months. Just let them thaw to room temperature and enjoy!
- 30-40 round whole pretzel pieces
- 25 caramel squares, unwrapped (about 1 heaping cup)
- ¼ cup cream or half-and-half, divided
- about 16 ounces roughly chopped chocolate, melted
- sea salt, optional for sprinkling
- Line two baking sheets or large platters with parchment paper.
- Make small piles of pretzels.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, add the caramels, half of the cream (reserve the remainder), and heat on high power to melt (It will probably take about 3 to 4 minutes total, but you must stop and stir the mixture every 30 seconds so you don't burn it).
- If the mixture seems thick and needs more cream, add the remaining amount.
- Add about 1 tablespoon caramel to the top of each pretzel; set aside.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, add 8 ounces chocolate and heat to melt, about 1 minute on high power; Heat in 15-second increments until chocolate can be stirred smooth.
- Add about 2 tablespoons chocolate to the top of each pretzel cluster by dolloping it on top and letting it fall down the sides.
- Optionally add a pinch of sea salt to each Turtle.
- Allow Turtles to firm up at room temp (will take many hours) or in the fridge or freezer (about 15 minutes) before serving.
- Turtles will keep airtight at room temperature for weeks, or in the fridge or freezer for many months.
More Dessert Recipes You May Enjoy: