Country Fried Chicken with Gravy is a great southern comfort meal that my family loves! In my opinion everything is better with gravy and lots of it. I know it’s not good for the hips but boy do I like my gravy! Country Fried Chicken with Gravy is my teenager’s second most requested dinner recipe it follows behind his number one requested meal which is Chicken -n- Rice.
This delicious chicken can be ready in 30 minutes and that is a huge plus for this busy mom! There is also only 8 ingredients which makes this easy and simple for me. My boys and husband always want me to serve green beans and Secret Ingredient Mashed Potatoes with the Country Fried Chicken with Gravy.
Be sure to “PIN” this great recipe so you will have it when you are ready to make it. Please follow us on Pinterest and enjoy hundreds of recipes, crafts, party planning ideas, gardening, DIY and more.
Country Fried Chicken with Gravy
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup finely crushed buttery cracker (I used Club crackers)
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk (more or less)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pound the chicken breasts to 1/4-inch thickness between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, using meat pounder or rolling pin; set the chicken aside.
- Combine flour and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Pour buttermilk into a second dish.
- Spread crushed crackers on a plate.
- Dredge chicken breasts, one at a time, in seasoned flour.
- Dip into buttermilk, then into crushed crackers to coat thoroughly, pressing with fingertips to adhere.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken; cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove to oven safe platter or cookie sheet (I use a baking stone); place in oven to keep warm.
- Put remaining cracker crumbs into skillet pan and lightly brown.
- Stir mushroom soup into drippings and crumbs.
- Combine remaining buttermilk and flour; whisk til ingredients are smooth then add to soup mixture.
- Add additional milk as needed.
- If desired you can add black pepper to gravy mixture (I added 1/8 teaspoon).
- Bring to a boil, stirring; remove from heat.
- Serve chicken accompanied with gravy.