I love apples! If you are looking for a unique dessert that beautiful and full of flavor then Apple Pie in an Apple is for you. Imagine your guests faces when they are presented this gorgeous dessert at the end of a dinner party.
We had it for dessert last night and it was AMAZING! Everyone in the family loved it. I liked it so much I am going to make them for a party next week.
Apple Pie in an Apple
If you are looking for a unique dessert that beautiful and full of flavor then Apple Pie in an Apple is for you. Imagine your guests faces when they are presented this gorgeous dessert at the end of a dinner party.
- 5-6 granny smith apples
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 T cinnamon
- pie crust either homemade or store bought
- Cut off the top of 4 apples off and discard.
- Remove the inside of each apple with a spoon or melon baller very carefully, as to not puncture the peel.
- Remove skin from remaining apple(s) and slice very thinly.
- These apple pieces will give you the filling needed to fill the four apples you are baking.
- Mix sliced apples with sugars and cinnamon in a bowl.
- If you prefer more or less cinnamon make adjustments as desired.
- Same goes for the sugar.
- Scoop sliced apples into hollow apples.
- Roll out pie crust and slice into 1/4 inch strips.
- You can also add a strip of pastry inside the top of the apple almost like a liner to add a little more texture/sweetness to the pie.
- Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern with pie crust strips.
- Place apples in an 8×8 pan.
- Add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft.
The entire thing is edible and best served with ice cream if you ask me. Enjoy!
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.