We LOVE Shark Week! This year Shark Week 2014 is 8/10 - 8/17 and we are so excited! My son LOVES Sharks! He always has. When he was 18 months old I bought a season pass to the Newport Aquarium and he was mesmerized by the sharks. I believe this is where his love for them developed. Every year we watch Shark Week on The Discovery Channel.
If you are a Shark Week fan like we are then you might want to check out this post on how to host a shark party - your kids will love you for the kick off! It airs on Discovery Channel on 8/10/14 at 8 am ET. You can tune into Shark Week on the TDC during your party!
Another great way to celebrate Shark Week is by going to the Newport Aquarium. With more than 55 sharks on exhibit, Newport Aquarium is the place to visit in Greater Cincinnati during Discovery Channel’s Shark Week.
To celebrate Shark Week, Newport Aquarium is offering a $5 discount* on all general admission tickets for visits from Aug. 10-17. This Shark Week discount is available for purchase only through NewportAquarium.com. You can not combine this discount with any other coupon or special offer.
If you love sharks as much as we do, then Newport Aquarium is the place to be during Shark Week. Here are a variety of shark-related activities highlights the Shark Week schedule at Newport Aquarium, where there is always more new to see and do:
- Surrounded by Sharks – At Newport Aquarium’s signature exhibit, guests can walk through a 385,000-gallon tank filled with four rare and exotic shark rays, sand tiger sharks, whitetip sharks, zebra sharks, as well as a sandbar, a blacktip and a nurse shark.
- Shark Tank Dive Shows – Guests catch their first and largest views of shark rays and sharks at the Shark Ray Bay Theater, where our shark dive shows feature a scuba diver addressing and taking questions from the audience about the biology and conservation of sharks and other animals found inside the tank. (Aug. 10-17 at Noon; 12:20 p.m.; 12:40 p.m.; 2 p.m.; 2:20 p.m.; and 2:40 p.m.)
- Shark Feedings – Newport Aquarium performs public feedings for its sharks and shark rays, where guests can watch biologists feed from either the Shark Ray Bay Theater, the Surrounded by Sharks tunnels, or through a biologist’s point-of-view from the Shark Top viewing area. (Shark feeding 11 a.m. Aug. 12; Shark ray feedings 1:15 p.m. Aug. 11-15)
- Shark Touch Pool – At the Shark Central exhibit, guests have the opportunity to touch dozens of sharks. An Animal Experience Specialist teaches guests the proper two-finger touch technique and helps them understand each species in this international collection.
- Sharks After Dark Overnight – Guests can sink their teeth into some great shark facts and sleep safely as they swim above. Every overnight includes exclusive aquarium access, animal-themed games and activities. (Thursday, Aug. 7 at 7:30 p.m. sold out; Friday, Aug. 8 at 7:30 p.m. sold out)
For more information on Newport Aquarium, visit NewportAquarium.com or call toll free 800-406-FISH (3474).
Related Shark Week Articles:
Disclosure: The Newport provided us tickets to facilitate this review. All opinions are 100% our own.