There is no better comfort food than Chicken Pot Pie. I love homemade Chicken Pot Pie on a cold winter day. It makes me happy just to think about it. I have fond memories of eating pot pies as a child. It really takes me back to my happy place every time I eat one. I love that it is a complete meal in one! So delicious too! It is just pure Southern Comfort!
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves - cooked and cubed (I boil mine for 2 hours in chicken broth and then shred it)
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- ½ cup diced potatoes
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 9 inch unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- In saucepan combine chicken, carrots, peas, corn and potatoes. Add water or chicken broth to cover and boil for 15 mins
- Remove from heat and drain and set aside.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder.
- Slowly stir in milk and chicken broth.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until thick.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place pie crust in pie dish and brush with egg white wash.
- Place the chicken mixture in the in bottom of pie crust.
- Pour hot liquid mixture over.
- Cover with top crust, seal edges and brush with egg white wash.
- Make several small slits in top
- to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 mins or until crust is golden brown and mixture is bubbly.
- Cool for 10 mins before serving.
- (I use a deep pie dish. I also add ½ of cream of chicken soup can to the liquid mixture. If you use a regular pie dish then adding the cream of chicken soup will not fit.)
Best Country Cooking Desserts
Traditional Pumpkin Pie Recipe - It is a family favorite recipe that has been passed down from my grandmother. Of course she made her pie crusts the majority of the time. Purchasing a premade crust is so much easier!
Pioneer Woman Chocolate Pie - This delicious recipe for Pioneer Woman Chocolate Pie is so good you may eat the whole thing! I really wish I had my grandmother's recipe. She never wrote anything down. 🙁
Homemade Brownie Cake - This recipe is so delicious and makes celebrations amazing!
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake is so delicious and easy to prepare! It was a favorite at the church meals!
Creamy Banana Pudding - Banana Pudding is my favorite dessert! You can't have a southern meal without banana pudding!
Interested in Freezer Cooking?
We have a Freezer Cooking 101 Series that you may enjoy!
Stockpiling Moms can be found in all your favorite places. Hop on over to Instagram and follow the fun. We love posting memes, family fun, travel, and whatever we are feeling that day. Pinterest is also an amazing place to visit Stockpiling Moms. This is where you can pin all your favorite articles from our Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blog.