Crockpot Freezer Citrus Chicken is an easy super that the whole family will love. We loved the citrus flavor on a warm summer night. It was light and refreshing. This is a Paleo and Whole30 Compliant Recipe that is also gluten free. Be sure to use 100% Orange Juice with no added sugar (or just squeeze your own oranges). You can add additional red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.
To prep this meal use a gallon size zip loc freezer bag. In a freezer safe storage bag add all ingredients except the orange slices. Freeze. When ready to cook thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place all ingredients in the slow cooker and add fresh orange slices. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Salt and pepper chicken before serving.
Be sure that you invest in a good quality slow cooker. Our favorite is this programmable cook and carry 6qt oval slow cooker. You can adjust this recipe to feed your family using 4-6 pieces of meat. I personally use 4 to feed my family of 3 with a leftovers for lunch the next day. I use 2 lbs of chicken in my recipe but you can adjust between 4-6 cuts of chicken.
I like to serve this delicious Crockpot Freezer Citrus Chicken with roasted potatoes and butternut squash. It is an easy Whole 30 Friendly and Gluten Free Recipe that the entire family can enjoy.
Crockpot Freezer Citrus Chicken
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves crushed and minced
- 1 cup orange juice 100% Orange Juice - no sugar added
- 1/2 TSP orange zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice I like Santa Cruz Organic
- 1 tsp ground red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 4-6 boneless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper - optional I like to slightly salt and pepper both sides of my chicken breasts before freezing
- 1 orange sliced - do not add until you cook
- In a freezer safe storage bag add all ingredients except the orange slices.
- Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker and add fresh orange slices.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Salt and pepper chicken before serving.