Father’s Day is coming SOON (in fact tomorrow). This is the perfect inexpensive gift idea for Dad! It takes minutes to make and Dad is going to LOVE it! You could include a Starbucks Gift Card or a package of his favorite coffee to brew at home with this DIY Sharpie Marker Mug. In addition to breakfast in bed my son also wanted to create a special one of a kind gift for his Dad. He decided to make a DIY Sharpie Marker Mug for his Dad. He designed it himself and did a #1 Dad on the front and a Tennessee theme on the back! He loved creating this for his Dad and his Dad loved it too! You can create whatever theme you want. You can see how we created a snowman themed mug this winter.
DIY Sharpie Mug
We are sure you have seen these Sharpie Mugs are all over Pinterest, but you may have heard that they are a Pinterest Fail too. In fact my friend made them with regular sharpies and learned the hard way. This step-by-step instructions not only shows you how to make them AND tips on which markers won’t wash off! This is such a fun easy project and DIY gift idea! We hope you love it as much as we did! Best of all you can make this project for around $1.00!
- Plain Mug (white or any solid color will work) – you can pick these up at the Dollar Store
- Oil Based Sharpie Markers (Not Regular Sharpie Markers) – you can order online OR pick up at craft store using a coupon
- Pencil, optional
1. Wash and dry your new mugs and remove any price stickers from the bottom.
2. Using a pencil sketch your design on the mug (this is optional as you can always free-hand your design with the markers).
3. Draw your design with (oil based) sharpie markers.
4. Allow to dry without smudging by placing your hand inside mug to stabilize while you complete your design.
5. Place mugs on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes to “cure” the design.
6. After the mugs cool completely you can hand wash and use.
The Sharpie Mugs are NOT dishwasher safe. I repeat the Sharpie Mugs are NOT dishwasher safe. However we have used and hand washed our mugs a dozen times since we created them and the design is still there with no fading! I would personally NOT advise you to write on the interior of the mug for safety concerns. Also you can use this mug as a flower pot, pencil holder or just for decoration if you desire instead of for traditional use. I think this would be the most amazing gift idea if you fill the mug with candy, coffee, tea, fuzzy socks or really the sky is the limit! Best of all I love handmade gifts. This is a really precious gift idea for parents, grandparents or any one on your gift giving list!
We also have a list of additional Inexpensive Father’s Day Gift Ideas that you may enjoy making for Dad!