This Fruited Turkey Recipe is a great idea for Thanksgiving! The kids will love getting their fruit sticks from the Fruited Turkey and it is a healthy appetizer or dessert option.
The Fruited Turkey makes a great table decoration, and you can make this ahead of time. It would be great as an appetizer too so no one "fills" up before the meal. You can make it with whatever fruit your family enjoys most. We like to use watermelon, cantaloupe, honey dew and grapes. You could use strawberries too! I love how cute the pepper is for the nose! Be sure to give this Fruited Turkey Recipe at try for your Thanksgiving.
- 1 large watermelon
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 medium cantaloupe cut into 1-inch balls, divided
- 1 red chili pepper
- 4 medium navel oranges
- 2 pounds green grapes
- Wooden skewers 12 inches
- Thoroughly wash and dry watermelon. With a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from bottom of watermelon so it lies flat.
- Using a small sharp knife, lightly score a horizontal cutting line around middle of the melon, leaving 4 in. on each side of stem end unscored for the head. Next, score a vertical line over top of melon, connecting both ends of the horizontal line. Using a long knife, cut through melon along the vertical cutting line. (Stop cutting at the horizontal cutting line.) Then, cut through the melon along the horizontal cutting line. Gently pull off cut section.
- For turkey's head, cut a 2 in. half-circle at top. Make a scalloped edge, using the rounded edge of a 1-in. circle cutter. With a sharp knife, cut along the scalloped lines; discard scrapes. For eyes, insert a clove into the center of each of two cantaloupe balls. Using toothpicks, attach eyes; add a chili pepper wattle.
- With a vegetable peeler, cut peel from oranges. (Save oranges for another use). Thread grapes, orange peel and remaining cantaloupe balls onto skewers; add to turkey for feathers
Be sure to use this Turkey Timeline to help you stay organized for Thanksgiving.
Stockpiling Moms can be found in all your favorite places. Hop on over to Instagram and follow the fun. We love posting memes, family fun, travel, and whatever we are feeling that day. Pinterest is also an amazing place to visit Stockpiling Moms. This is where you can pin all your favorite articles from our Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blog.