It is apple season! Apples don’t always need to be covered in sugar to taste great. Sometimes doing as little as possible to an already great tasting piece of fruit can result in a new and favorite dish. With just a few ingredients and ten minutes, you can have Glazed Breakfast Apples ready and on the breakfast table.
Glazed breakfast apples are the perfect breakfast dish for everyone, pairing well with biscuits, bacon, pancakes and waffles, cranberries, oatmeal or maple sausage links. If you have leftovers, or are looking for another way to use your glazed apples, they are great as a dessert topper or as a garnish for meat dishes such as pork or duck. This is a great low fat breakfast side dish or sweet treat! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
- 3-4 large Granny Smith apples
- ¼ cup sugar or splenda
- ½ cup unsweetened apple juice
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Wash and core Granny Smith apples. Cut apples into ½” thick rings, carefully slicing off the very top and bottom of each apple so every slice has flesh revealed.
- Mix apple and lemon juice together with the cinnamon in a small bowl, set aside.
- Melt butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown apple rings in butter in small batches, flipping after two minutes so that each side is nicely browned.
- Remove each batch of apple rings from the skillet and add to a plate till all the apples have been cooked. Drop all apples back into the skillet and pour the apple and lemon juice mixture over them.
- If using sugar, add it over the apples and then cover skillet, cooking for five more minutes over medium heat. Remove apple rings from skillet and plate. Enjoy alone, with other breakfast goodies or with whipped cream on top.
Check out some of our BREAKFAST RECIPES!
Interested in Freezer Cooking?
We have a Freezer Cooking 101 Series that you may enjoy!
Stockpiling Moms can be found in all your favorite places. Hop on over to Instagram and follow the fun. We love posting memes, family fun, travel, and whatever we are feeling that day. Pinterest is also an amazing place to visit Stockpiling Moms. This is where you can pin all your favorite articles from our Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blog.